Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 2, 2006, 12:30 PM   #1

Hi,

the opinios are saying to buy the canon powershot a620 that uses sd memory/multimedia memory card.

since i don't understand nothing about it, can you help me out?

which one is the best?

what are the one to buy...256mb?512?1gb?

and about the mark (sorry my english, but i don't know if this is the correct word)...which offer quality?

thanks!

:bye:
sopra_ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2006, 12:52 PM   #2
E.T

You don't even find 1GB sized MMC cards, its size limit is 256MB if I remember right. (for newer SD size limit is 2GB)

With current prices I would keep 512MB as definite minimum size... actually 1GB cards appear to have generally such better price versus capacity ratio that I would suggest those.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 12:58 PM   #3

When browsing the "New York Institute of Photography" website, I was surprised to see that they (NYIP) don't recommend 1 GB (or larger) cards.
JockScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 1:36 PM   #4

thanks all for answerin.

so the winner is sd memory, right?

and about speed? it's equal?

and what is the recommended mark?..kingston?sandisk?etc...
Old Apr 2, 2006, 2:13 PM   #5

Since movies are uncompressed VGA @ 30fps a MMC card would almost certainly be too slow for best quality movies at 1.8 Mb/sec. I would guess it could also slow your cycle times for best quality stills. I wouldn't even consider a MMC card for a modern camera.

You can get about 9 minutes of movies or around 250 best quality still photos on a 1Gb card. Since the A620 will get about 500 shots on a set of 2300mah NiMH batteries I would think it a good idea to get at least a 1Gb card. I usually get a card that will come close to using all the battery life and just marry it to the camera, so I would get a 2 Gig card for that camera unless I were constrained by budget.

Quote:
When browsing the "New York Institute of Photography" website, I was surprised to see that they (NYIP) don't recommend 1 GB (or larger) cards.
There could be a lot of reasons for that which probably wouldn't apply to most people with consumer level cameras.

A pro might want to put images on more than one card for an important shoot. Cards don't fail often, but there are times where even a small possibility of failure is too much.

Pros usually carry camera bags and likely have a small pocket for cards. They are a lot more likely to find the spare quickly and to not end up losing one. They also use mostly larger CF cards that are easier to handle and harder to lose.

I would think the article dated. I wouldn't think a 512Mb card would be very appropriate for a 16Mp EOS-1Ds Mark II.

I don't like changing cards in the field. The chances of losing or damaging a SD card are higher than card failure when you are shooting and realize your card is full. I don't even pull my cards out to use my card reader with USB2 cameras.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 2:33 PM   #6

thanks for your answer.

i will now see the prices for sd cards.

since 2gb could be very expensive, maybe i buy a 512mb ou 1gb...it depends of the price.

but i still don't know what is the recommended mark should i look for.

i repeat my words in my last reply:

kingstom?

sandisk?

etc...

and which model?

thanks to you all who are helping me!