Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 9, 2003, 10:16 AM   #1

Default 1Gb CompactFlash/DiMage 7i

Has anyone tried the Sandisk 1Gb CompactFlash card in the Minolta DiMage 7i? Minolta has not yet certified that it will work (it's not on their web site and the technicians don't yet know). I do know the the 1Gb Microdrive is certified to work, but I've been hesitant to try it as it is a mechanical device.
Any experience with these devices or suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks.
sfondili is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2003, 10:26 AM   #2

I'm using a 1GB MicroDrive in my 7i with no problem at all. Have been for 10 months now. The 1GB CF cards are still way too expensive for my tastes.

- Paul
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2003, 1:05 PM   #3
NHL

I'm using the 1G microdrive as well... only ~12s for raw, and ~16s for a tiff picture. The cheaper 1G CF cards wouldn't get you this speed, but for jpegs they should be fine. 8)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2003, 2:04 PM   #4

I'd be thrilled to have only 12 second save times for RAW files (it's more like 20 seconds now). I'm also OK with the mechanical workings of the microdrive...just as long as it doesn't go kerplunk on me! One thing I did note is that it may not work over 9000 feet in altitude...because of the thinness of the air. I guess I can always switch over to my 512 Mb CompactFlash if that happens.
Thanks for all the responses.
John
Old Apr 11, 2003, 8:08 AM   #5

OK. I'm pretty convinced that the microdrive is the way to go. Does anyone know of a supplier that offers a lifetime warranty? I thought I had one (memorysuppliers.com), but found out that there were numerous complaints filed against them with the Better Business Bureau (bbb.org -- click on Check Out a Company)...130 total complaints, 50 in the last 12 months.
Thanks.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 8:18 AM   #6

Default 8 vs. 20 seconds

I just thought I'd follow up and let you know I received my IBM 1Gb Microdrive, yesterday. The best thing about it is that it saves raw images (9.5 Mb) on my Minolta DiMage 7i in 8 seconds. It took 20 seconds to save to my 512 Mb Sandisk CompactFlash card. I'm thrilled with this.
I purchased the Microdrive at upgradenation.com. While there wasn't very much evaluative info on them (perhaps they are a new company), they did offer a very good price and a lifetime warranty. I must also say that their service has be quite good so far...always answering my email questions promptly, delivering the product in two days.
John
Old Apr 17, 2003, 8:28 AM   #7
NHL

Quote:
The best thing about it is that it saves raw images (9.5 Mb) on my Minolta DiMage 7i in 8 seconds.
That's great it's better than what I can get on my older D7. At over 1.1MB/s transfer rate, it's nearing dSLR territory.
Have you tried tiff? The best I could is ~16s (but why bother?) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:
they did offer a very good price and a lifetime warranty
... That's a new one for MD! 8)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2003, 9:03 PM   #8

you have to understand from where the "lifetime warranty" is coming from. it isn't from IBM/Hitachi. it's from the vendor to you. what is the value of this:

will they be around if it fails in 2 or 5 years? a warranty not backed by the manufacturer is generally suspect in length as to what constitutes lifetime--- yours, or the company you purchased it from.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2003, 10:52 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
I'm using a 1GB MicroDrive in my 7i with no problem at all. Have been for 10 months now. The 1GB CF cards are still way too expensive for my tastes.

- Paul
I just bought a 1GB 30x Transcend card the other day off a seller on eBay for $250. Now that's reasonable in my book - brings the price down to just $0.25/MB.

And I've seen name brand cards like Lexar Pro Series going for just a little bit more. It's definitely a buyer's market for CF cards right now. I only hope that this also drives the price of SD and xD cards to new "lows" too :twisted:

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2003, 1:53 PM   #10

Default No TIFFs, "lifetime warranty"

No, I can't say I've saved TIFFs. Up 'till now, I haven't seen the need to save in other than RAW. As I understand it, the DiMage software does the same thing as the camera (when I convert the RAW to TIFFs). If someone knows better...that, perhaps, the camera does a better job...please do post your thoughts. I've just been content to save in RAW because I think it preserves all my options.
Yes...regarding the lifetime warranty...I do understand. It's only as good as the vendor. I do have the one year IBM warranty, too, so I'm looking at the lifetime warranty as a nice plus. Hopefully, I won't have to use it.
John