Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 3, 2006, 9:10 AM   #1

[align=left]I am going on 2 week trip through Western national Parks. I need to buy additional CF cards. Anyone with experience using Nikon CoolPix 8800 and 1g, 2g or 4g cards? anyone experience failures due to incompatibility?

What would you recommend for size (1g,2g, 4g)and how many(2, more)?

What manufacturer (SanDisk, Lexar)?

Thanks for the help!

Looking forward to lots of great shots!
[/align]
rltrudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:52 AM   #2

Because the CP8800 supports Lexar's Write Access technology, these cards are the fasted. On the other hand, here in Europe the Lexar cards are greatly overpriced when compared with Sandisk.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 7:51 AM   #3

[align=left]Thanks for the feedback.
[/align]
Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:42 AM   #4
E.T

rltrudel wrote:
Quote:
What would you recommend for size (1g,2g, 4g)and how many(2, more)?
Now I would follow rule of thumb that you don't have keep pics in one cards just in case.

And for how much you need space.
Considering situation I wouldn't bother using anything else than best JPEG which is ~5MB per photo with that camera. Other thing you need is rough estimate for how many shots you would take...

Of course it might be worth to buy device which could burn photos to CD or DVD unless you have laptop because it's really easy to take lot of photos. (and by that way you have better change for getting more good shots)
5MP Minolta 7i takes about ~2.5MB images and when using that in week long trip I took ~650 shots which took ~1.5GB... including >2000 miles of driving in that time so there wasn't any spare time to stop for taking extra photos.

http://www.apacer.com/en/products/Mu...ia_Storage.htm
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:13 PM   #5

Thanks - great idea! I will look into that!
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:59 PM   #6
E.T

Either laptop, some HD MP3 player (like some Archos models) or memorycard to CD/DVD burner is really recommended.
Last thing you would want to experience in such trip is that you're running out of memory and have to start selecting is that view good enough to photograph. (and start browsing through taken shots for removing bad ones)

I used laptop so didn't have to care about space, I had two 512MB cards and if I had time and there was photos consuming more than 20% memory card I transferred those to laptop every evening.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 6:05 AM   #7

As I shoot raw only (with the exceptions of burst sequences) with all my three cameras a 1 GB flash card is quickly filled with pictures. That's why I have an image tank. It's a small device consisting of a notebook hard disk and a card reader. You plug in the card into the image tank, press a button and wait a while until the small display of the image tank indicates that the content of the card has been transferred. Transfer is significantly slower than on a PC, though. In the winter you have to keep the image tank warm, otherwise you may easily destroy the frozen hard disk, when you turn it on.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote