Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 10, 2003, 10:31 PM   #1

Default which card?

So I was eyeing a 512MB CF card for a 10D. I was going to go with what is (to me) quality brands. The two I was thinking of were:

Lexar 512MB 40x WA
Sandisk 512 Ultra

I realize that the speed difference between them is small in the 10D. I'm more thinking of them because of quality and reliability. From what I've found, their prices are exactly the same (I found a $30 rebate on the Lexar to make it the same price as the SanDisk.)

I did some searching here and couldn't find the two pieces of info I was looking for.

1) Do either or both of these have longer (lifetime?) warranties?
2) Do either of these come with data recovery software to help in case of a problem? I thought I remember a few cards did.

Any help would be great.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2003, 10:53 AM   #2

Default Lexar

The Lexar has a lifetime. Not familiar with SanDisk warranty. I'm going to go with a Lexar 32x WA 1Gb for $264.
seidstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2003, 10:32 AM   #3

either card will do well in the 10D.

REF:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6111

you all neglect the delkin pro cards. they in most cases outperform all but lexar and then even with lexars WA on some cameras give them a good run for the money. and if you dig the are comparably priced to lexar and in some cases less.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2003, 11:09 AM   #4

sjms

That link was the first place I looked, actually. (It is a wonderful resource, isn't it?)

I've been having troubles finding the Delkin locally, actually. I could mail order it, but I'll be buying the entire package (10D 100-400L and a memory card) all at the same time and getting a slight discount on the bundle. So that has limited my choices between the two.

seidstep

$80 more for twice the space, now that is kinda appealing. I wonder if I could find that one locally. Humm... I didn't relize that the 1G was that low. I would consider a microdrive at that size, but they are almost 200K per second slower. I'm (probably) only going to shoot raw, so I'd like that extra speed.

Does Lexar come with recovery software? I thought that either Sandisk or Lexard did.....
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2003, 1:09 PM   #5

yes it does but its tied to the jumpshot cable system (usb 1.1). if i were you i would put out the $30 for PhotoRescue. it is the top dog for solidstate recovery.

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

doesn't seem to like lexars firewire reader though.

i have USB 1.1, 2.0 and firewire
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote