Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:11 PM   #1

hi - new to digital. have a sandisk 1GB card at present. i'm in the market for a 4 or 8GB card and want to utilize the fastest card possible taking into consideration the limitaions of the A610 . any recommendations ? thanks, brian
bobbymacbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2006, 11:00 PM   #2

I think 2GB is the size limit for the a610. At least it's not on Transcend's compatibility list of cameras that can use a fat32 file system (needed for cards over 2GB).

I've got a 2GB Adata 150x card. Not bad, holds 1,400 5MP shots. I've also got a 1GB Transcend 80X card that is faster than the Adata 150x. I don't notice any slowdown using the Transcend 80x. Turn the flash off, turn on continous drive and it pretty much does the 2+ fps it says it can. Video records smoothly, but don't play video back from the camera. Put on on the PC's hard drive, the camera plays back jerky slow.

My next card will probably be a 2GB Transcend 150x. I'm not sure I need that much speed, but I still want it. I'd try a Sandisk Extreme III but I really love Transcend cards. Had many of them over the years with no problems.

$65 for a 2GB 150x that should be way faster than an Adata 150x Not bad:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820163158

This is a nice little reader that will read a 4GB card, makes a nice thumb drive too!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820402101

- Joe
JoeLansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2006, 12:37 AM   #3

Update.. I just formatted a 1GB card with XP as a FAT32 drive using the command:

format f: /fs:fat32

It works fine in my Canon A610??? At least I did about 100 shots then another 400MB+ of video. Worked well.

Then I went back and checked to make sure the camera hadn't "fixed" the card for me. Nope, still a fat32 drive. Does this mean it will use a 4GB card? What I used to read about the A610 says no, but I did update it's firmware once. Has anyone used the A610 with a 4GB card?

I really want to try one of these Ridata 150x 4GB cards with free shipping for $105. They are supposed to write 17mbs under Sandra. Not bad! I use them for thumb drives more than camera media, hence the need for mega room.

http://www.meritline.com/ridata-4gb-...l-sd-card.html

- Joe

JoeLansing is offline   Reply With Quote