Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 8, 2002, 11:35 AM   #1

Default Lexar 12X CF Card

Hi,

I have a Kodak DC4800 camera, for which I recently bought a Lexar 12X 64 MB CF card. I already have a TwinMos 64 MB card and an original Kodak 32 MB card. I bought the Lexar card for the 12X speed, but I cannot see any differende between the TwinMos card and the Lexar card. With the 3.1 MP (Uncompr.) option, the Lexar finishes in 17 secs. and the TwinMos card in 16 secs!!!, the poor Kodak card uses 34 secs. on this operation. With the 3.1 MP option, all cards finishes after 7-8 secs. Does this mean that the TwinMos card is also 12X or is it my camera that does not support the Lexar 12X speed? I could find no answers to this on neither www.digitalfilm.com og www.kodak.com. All input on this would be appreciated, specially since I am considering to buy another CF card (128MB), and the TwinMos is half the price of the Lexar card:-)

Best Regards
Stephen
koddc48_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2002, 5:51 PM   #2

my guess is that around 3 meg image, the camera might uses the buffer instead of write to compact memory right way.

if my guess is right, then whatever faster with uncompressed image is the better one.
zhu001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2002, 7:16 PM   #3

Hard to say what the standard is for 1X. As with all storage the white paper says about the same, benchmarks come out with wild gap. Did U/66 , U100 , and U/133 live up to what U/XXX implises. Just as CD bunners rated at same bunner speed have big gap in burning times. Think the WD U/100 IDE drive is faster than the U/133 because of its 8 meg buffer vs the norm of 2 meg. Nothing can go any faster than its weakest link (bottlekneck) .
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2002, 6:15 AM   #4
NHL

If you guys are shooting in jpeg, none of the speed difference matter...

http://www.stevesforums.com/forum/vi...ad.php?tid=836
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2002, 3:19 PM   #5

Default Lexar 12X CF Card

Well actually the 3.1 MP (Uncompr.) creates tif files not jpg's so I was kind of hoping that at least this setting would show some improvement over the TwinMos card, but the TwinMos card is actually a second quicker in creating the tif image. And the files are approx. 9 MB+ when I use this setting, and I don't think the camera has that big a buffer?

Best regards
Stephen
koddc48_steve is offline   Reply With Quote