Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 17, 2006, 3:49 PM   #1

When I delete images (either individually or ALL) in-camera, they appear gone, and my picture capacity increases as expected. However, when I takemy card to a photofinishing shop to burn them to CD, the CDs I receive back include images from the past several sessions! The last time this happened, I took a card that appeared to have only 80 images in high-JPG format, and the CD yielded 489 pictures over THREE CDs. They aren't just thumbnails either. This is increasingly frustrating.

How can these "ghost" images still be on my disk? How can I delete them for good?
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2006, 4:54 PM   #2
E.T

Have you checked in your computer that camera really destroys files at all instead of just removing them from somekind database it uses?

Then if shop uses software which looks also for files without file allocation table entry it could copy old "removed" files from card.

Of course if camera works right it should always "remove images" such way that new images will overwrite removed images, but apparently you have 2GB card so it takes lot of photographing to overwrite all earlier images.
(empty full card, then take shots worth of 500MB and you could still retrieve "removed" images from rest of cards capacity, worth of 1.5GB)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:52 AM   #3

when I connect camera via USB cable to upload images, I set it to delete allimages upon upload. this didn't work either. I've disconnected and reconnected the camera, and my PC still sees the camera's card as empty.

When I asked the photofinishing shop what the deal was, they said what I described was "impossible" and basically chalked it up tome really not deleting my files in the first place. Even though the massive amount of files they burned to a CD wouldn't fit on my 1GB card, and theupload locked up their computer once.

Anyone?
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:54 AM   #4

Oh and btw, this has happened at two completely different Vendors. Cord camera twice, and Walgreens once. I bought my card through B&H, it shipped w/ my camera, not thru eBay or anything questionable.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 3:10 PM   #5
E.T

Use USB card reader for checking card, camera+proprietary (bloated) software are worst options for that.

But that's definitely weird if they got three CD-ROMs from 1GB card... at least if they didn't burn half empty CDs.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote