Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 15, 2003, 2:11 PM   #11

I'm don't know if Sandisk make the right decision to increase their CF products but I'm sure they made the right products, at least my Sandisk card went through the washer machine 5 times and still work, I'm sure the microdrive will not survive that drill. Cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2003, 2:29 PM   #12
NHL

On Cald's D7's the microdrive will store over 600 shots at the highest quality jpeg... May be it never have to leave the camera so do you don't have to worry about washing it after all...

I have three MDs (and lots more CF cards) and use it for MPEG compression as well. They works really good for writing thoses huge megabyte files! :P :P :P

The slowness is bandwidth limited by the USB interface and not the microdrive. Try 2.0 or Firewire, it's best to download everything to the PC rather than work from it like a portable HDD storage...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2003, 7:59 PM   #13

'Ouch' toanokc! - amazing. Yup Microdrive not likely to make it!
cald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2003, 10:26 PM   #14
NHL

... check what the cops are using theses days...
Quote:
Once the shift is done, the officer takes the hard drive to the police headquarters and uploads all the stored data to a central server, which is capable of storing 3.5 terabytes of data, roughly equal to 800,000 full-length novels, IBM said.
http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/030515/tech_police_1.html
Old May 15, 2003, 10:26 PM   #15

cald

I would bet your problem is your USB1 interface. I don't know for sure, thought. A few 100 is a lot of files in one directory. The throughput of USB1 isn't that good. I don't remember what its sustained rate is, but I doubt its near the 12Mb burst.

If you have USB2, I'd recommend getting a USB2 reader. If you don't, you could consider getting USB2 ports with an addon card.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 8:59 AM   #16
NHL

One flash family (Nor, for code storage) has a shortage: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Quote:
And here's the part that seems so weird. Ruiz isn't afraid to use the s-word, as in "shortage."

"You know, I know that it sounds crazy to say it right now, but I actually believe that before the end of the year we'll see a shortage in leading-edge flash technology," Ruiz says.
http://www.forbes.com/2003/05/16/cx_...ahoo&referrer=

The other type (Nand, for data) has overcapacity: (ie good for all of us!) 8) 8) 8)
Quote:
While digital camera sales are strong--IDC reckons consumers will snap up 33.5 million units globally this year, compared with 28 million last year--analysts say there is excess NAND capacity. This business currently has only four suppliers: Samsung, Toshiba, SanDisk (nasdaq: SNDK - news - people ) and Hitachi (nyse: HIT - news - people ). But STMicroelectronics (nyse: STM - news - people ) and South Korea's debt-riddled chipmaker Hynix Semiconductor plan to enter this market.

"That overcapacity isn't likely to burn off until 2006 or 2007," says Jim Handy, analyst for Semico Research in Scottsdale, Ariz.

... Semico says that sales of the cards accounted for $2 billion last year and could reach $3.3 billion this year, growing to $12 billion in 2006. A study by research firm IDC found that flash cards sold for an average price of 45 cents per megabyte last year but could go as low as 10 cents a megabyte by 2006.
Old May 16, 2003, 12:57 PM   #17

Default USB 2?

Didn't I read somewhere that it's not a given that a PCI USB2 card can be plugged in and will automatically work? Can't remember if the hiccup is the version of Windows, the Mother Board/Bios or what.
Somebody refresh my memory (no pun)
cald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 1:40 PM   #18
NHL

Quote:
Didn't I read somewhere that it's not a given that a PCI USB2 card can be plugged in and will automatically work? Can't remember if the hiccup is the version of Windows, the Mother Board/Bios or what.
A PCI USB2 card should be plug & play as soon as the driver is installed. I think the problem was your work PC is unique in that it was NT, and does not support USB in some form or another. (I know, some NT driver like my Zip drive works for some reason...)