Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 29, 2006, 3:11 PM   #1

I am a new digital camera owner and I am going on a long trip. I own a Sandisk ultra II 1gb card.

I want to buy 10gb more.

Is there a difference in the brands? Is Sandisk best?

Is there a big difference between the standard card and the ultra card? Is it worth the price difference?

Should I buy 5 - 2mb cards or 10 - 1mb cards? It is cheaper to buy the bigger cards but is it better to have the smaller capacity?
ddebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2006, 4:00 PM   #2

I forgot to say that I am using an SD card.
Old May 1, 2006, 7:13 AM   #3

You could consider a "PSD" (portable storagedevice)... just use a couple of SD cards, and have a portable device that will copy those HD cards onto it's built-in hard drive - you could probably buy such a device with over 20 gigs for the price you'd spent on all those memory cards...

when your card is full, you stick it in the device... copy the files over to it... and then put the card back in your camera...

This is 1 example

http://www.eastgear.com/shop/product...roducts_id=444

SMP_Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 10:21 AM   #4

Or get the exact same model from the US arm of the company and branded as HyperDrive at http://www.hyperdrive.com/shop/index...7e5e84ba7b47e3— highly recommended! There are also numerous "OTG" (on the go) portable storage devices that use self-installed lap-top size 2.5" hard drives on ebay.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 3:57 PM   #5

I had looked into the possibility - I was thinking of the transcend digital album. But, I decided to go with the sd cards because I will be traveling for 10 weeks and can't take much luggage. The sd cards are just so much smaller and easier to transport. And, I have heard about hard drive problems and would hate to lose all of my photos.

Does that make sense?
Old May 8, 2006, 12:00 AM   #6

You can get a 30 gig ipod for 300 bucks and transfer the pics to it, and it doubles as an mp3 player. That is what I would do. Just get a couple of 1g cards and transfer the pics to the ipod. That way you're getting two devices in one.
raw10628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 9:55 AM   #7

Just the other day I bought an ipod. I got the 30 gb for just over $200 - I was quite pleased. Then I called Apple to discuss the pix downloading process and learned that their software does not support my RICOH camera!!

I am back to square 1.
Old May 13, 2006, 4:16 PM   #8
E.T

There's no need for any software supporting camera if camera just works as removable USB mass storage in case if camera is supposed to be connected to device using USB cable.
Now any better than toy camera should work as USB mass storage which is required for that to work.
But then again that iPod has always seemed overhyped product to me so I wouldn't keep it sure it has USB mass storage device host port.

Also Archos has MP3 player/portable HD/image bank devices.
And Apacer has devices which can be used for burning content of memory card to CD/DVD.
But extra memory cards would be definitely lightest ans smallest option... most of those image bank devices use standard laptop HDs so they aren't so pocket sized.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote