Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 2, 2006, 5:00 PM   #1

:?I am clueless about these thingsbecause I just do basic digital photography. I havevery basic camera - a Nikon CoolPix 5600. I bought a San Disk 512mb photo card when I bought the camera about 10 months ago. It has worked fine, I've used it several times, the last time just a couple weeks ago. Today I got my camera out to take some pictures and a warning came up on the screen saying "THIS CARD CANNOT BE USED." I have no idea what this means or why it's doing this. Somebody help! Is my card toast? Is that what it means?I'm afraid I've gotten a bit behind and still had several photos on it that have not been downloaded.
ilpinwuxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2006, 9:54 PM   #2
Administrator

Try formatting the card using the Format menu choice in the camera's menus (not via your PC).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 1:47 PM   #3

My camera won't let me select the format card option. As I scroll it just skips over that one so I can't get on it. All the other options I can select but notthat one. I swear I'm not a technology moron! :-) I probably have to buy a new card right? Or should I try reformatting it on my PC?
ilpinwuxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 6:22 PM   #4
Administrator

Most Secure Digital Cards have a write protect switch. It's a tiny switch that has two positions (locked and unlocked).

Make sure it's not in the locked position (or half way between positions). Slide it back and forth one time to make sure it's making a solid connection, too.

If you still can't see the Format menu option in your camera's menus, then I'd try to format it with a PC using a card reader (if you don't have one, a USB 2.0 card reader is very inexpensive -- often $20 or less).

With newer versions of Windows, if you right click on the card reader under "My Computer", you'll see a format menu choice.

After selecting format with Windows XP, the screen that comes up will have a File System choice. You'll need to select FAT from the drop down list. By default, Windows uses a 32 bit FAT that's not compatible with many Digital Cameras, so make sure you change it to FAT before starting the Format.

After formatting it with a card reader, see if you can format via your camera's menus again.

It could be a bad card. That's an odd error though. I don't know what kind of error the camera gives you if the card is write protected. So, I'd check the switch on the card as a first step.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 6:35 PM   #5

Hi! I just saw your thread and had to reply. I have the exact same prob. My camera is a DC3A30 and the message is the EXACTLY the same. What card are you using? I am using a Scandisk Ultra II 2 GB. At this time I am awaiting a reply off the vendor as I have heard of several people having " bad" Ultra II cards. Will let you know what I am told and would appreciate it if you could let me know any info you recieve. Thanks!
Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 11:21 AM   #6

Hi. just to let you know that The maker of my Camera has just e mailed me to say that the max size card that can be used in my camera is a 512MB. Therefore I would imagine that since you are getting the exact message as me, that this is also your problem too.
Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote