Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 9, 2006, 10:22 AM   #1

Hi, been a while, but I have a question. I have a D70, I also have a SanDisk Ultra II 2gig CF card, I had to install a new system (9.2 Mac), and now I'm getting a "Card unreadable, initialize disk" message, it works fine on another computer here with OSX10.2 on it. I also have a 1gig MicroDrive, getting the same message. I already formatted the disk in the camera. Should I go ahead and download everything off the disk and let the computer format it?
Will this fix it, or is it something else?
Thanks,
Todd
Upalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2006, 12:04 PM   #2
Administrator

Todd:

I know nothing about Mac operating systems.

But, if you use the camera to format a card, it's using a 16 bit FAT (File Allocation Table) for cards under 2GB and a 32 bit FAT for cards over 2GB.

A 16 bit FAT is sometimes referred to as just FAT.

I did a little searching with Google, and it looks like 9.2.x should be able to use FAT formatted drives.

But, if you try to format one and use the default file system, it would probalby make the card unusable. I've read that OS 9 may even make them unusable by Macs. But, OS 9.2.1 or 9.2.1 may work if you choose FAT as the file system type (it may show up as MS-DOS FAT in the list) from what I saw reading through some forum posts about compatiblity.

Personally, I wouldn't risk trying to write to a card using OS 9.x. But, I'm not a Mac user so you'll need to make that decision.

Are you using a card reader, or is the problem when attaching the camera itself via USB?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 7:39 AM   #3

Hi Jim,
Thanks for getting back to me. The system I'm on is 9.2.1, the card reader is a Lexar FireWire reader. Everything was fine until I installed the new system, same as the old one, same install disk and everything (I had a major blow up, it was the only fix). I used to be able to read directly out of the camera(USB), and through the card reader(FireWire). I reinstalled the Lexar softeware also. Now, if I format the card in the camera and try to read it on the computer, NG, if I initialize (Same as "Formatting"?), in the computer, I can read it on the computer, but the camera won't fire. Once I reformat in the camera, the camera works again???? I can hook the camera up directly to another computer here that's on OSX 10.2.8, and it works fine. What perplexes me is that it worked fine before, and I've tried to find a variable, something that's different now, but can't find anything, as far as I know it's exactly as it was before. I don't see any formatting options in the camera, are the settings (FAT) you talk about in the computers settings?
Thanks for any help,
Todd
Old May 11, 2006, 7:41 AM   #4

BTW, you talk about cards over 2gigs, or under 2 gigs, my card IS 2gigs, which way do I go?
Old May 11, 2006, 7:59 AM   #5
Administrator

FAT is fine for cards through 2 GB (and the 2GB cards are actually a tad smaller than 2GB). I don't think Apple even supports a 32 Bit FAT (although I may be mistaken, I seem to remember reading that somewhere).

That may even be the issue (the card was somehow formatted as FAT32 and it's causing a problem with compatibility. Have you got access to a Windows PC? If so, format it using one, making sure to select FAT as the file system type from the drop down list after you select the Format menu choice when right clicking on the drive under "My Computer".

If it worked before upgrading the OS, I'd suspect a problem with the OS not supporting it. Have you installed all available patches for it?

FAT (used by most cameras) is a Microsoft file system. So, sometimes other Operating systems have issues with it.

But, it's been around for a very long time. So, it should be supported OK (although I've heard that Apple may have dropped support for some versions of FAT in later versions (probably due to Microsoft's patent claims on long file names in later FAT versions)

I wish that camera manufacturers would use an open source file system instead. But, since that's not the case, we have to do the best we can when using a different Operating System.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote