Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 12, 2006, 9:12 AM   #1

Just got this shipped to the UK from USBgeek.com and have to say I am VERY impressed!. Cost was $48 including a huge $3 for shipping! and it got here in 4 days. There are several posts about it on the DPReview forums. I already have a Vosonic XS Drive II and the Dooin (using the same hard drive) is nearly 5x faster, transfer from a full 512Mb 60x SD card on the XSII tookjust under12mins, using the Dooin it took 2m 36s Mine also came withthe extrafree external 4xAA battery holder/psu, very useful when out in the field :-)

http://www.usbgeek.com/prod_detail.php?prod_id=0411
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2006, 7:24 AM   #2

I got one of these from USBGeeks also. Put in an 80Gb drive and took it to the bottom of the Grand Canyon a couple of weeks ago. On my 2-week vacation, I took almost 1000 pictures in RAW format and downloaded them to the Dooin. It worked perfectly. I have 5-512 Mb CF cards, and could get about 26 RAW images per card. Some days I filled all five cards, and that evening, downloaded them to the hard drive. I charged it just before heading into the Canyon for four days, and just to be safe, made an external battery pack with a holder and plug from Radio Shack. I didn't need to use it though as the battery capacity from the Dooin was plenty to download all the pics I took before I got out.

It saves each card in its own folder, so it was easy to get them back in usable chunks. The only problem I ran into was in trying to download from the Dooin to my PC. My motherboard has a VIA chipset based USB 2.0 interface, and it choked on the download; kept getting slow or incomplete transfers after one or two pictures from the Dooin. The problem was solved by buying a USB PCI card based on the NEC chipset, and it worked like a charm. I would highly recommend this device as a portable storage solution. It reads all card types, including xD-picture cards.
Wolverine@MSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 8:49 AM   #3

Wolverine--

Thanks for the information. One of my concerns was that I can't guarantee that the pictures are actually in the device. But the units with the viewers seem to be closer to $300. I checked with my pet geek and he said to go for it so I've ordered one. We'll see how it goes.

I really appreciate the suggestion. I'll definitely be looking at this option.:!:

S
ShavaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:27 AM   #4

One other thing to keep in mind is that the hard drive must be formatted in FAT32 and not NTFS. Windows XP format utility will not let you format more than 32 Mb using FAT32, so you need to use WIN 98 SE (or similar format utility) to format a drive larger than 30 Mb with a FAT32 file system. You can always partition the drive if larger than 30 Mb, making the primary partition FAT32, but the Dooin will only see the 1st partition. You can still use the other partition(s) while attached to a computer through the USB connection.

Although you can't actually view the pics once on the Dooin, it does show the remaining capacity on the drive, so you can use that as a measure of whether or not something was actually written to the drive.

For the price it was a no-brainer for me.
Wolverine@MSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 9:38 PM   #5

Go to this Page to get a freeware FAT32FORMAT and follow the instruction shown in the page. One can do FAT32 format under WinXP.

I managed to format a hardisk of 100GB using FAT32FORMAT.

dtycheng is offline   Reply With Quote