Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 22, 2003, 9:12 AM   #11

I have tried every possible cluster size, no luck! Queries on the internet seem to indicate that the v77 firmware on the Olympus 5050 gives problems with certain CF cards (Transcend 512, Viking 512, Kingston 512). Not in all cases, though.

I guess that it is certain revisions of these CF cards in combination with the 5050 v77 that causes the problem.

Now I need new 5050 firmware, but Olympus won't provide!
Jola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 3:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Queries on the internet seem to indicate that the v77 firmware on the Olympus 5050 gives problems with certain CF cards
Just a guess, but do you think Olympus is incompatible with the standard low level CIS format (which you can't easily change) or is it the card manufacturer default CIS format which Olympus have trouble with, or is it hardware/drivers/architecture in the cards that don't work. Don't Olympus have some history of tinkering with card formats (like on their own brand), to get cards to do diferent things, but only in their cams?

I'd suggest raising the issue with the card makers, it's in their interests to have cards which work in as many devices as possible. If they suggest Olympus are doing something proprietary outside the CF standard spec or ill defined, then you've got an answer!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 4:49 AM   #13

voxmagna, I don'treally know what the problem is, it could be the CIS block, obviously in combination with something funny that Olympus gets up to because the card works in other Nikon and Canon camers. I don't have another Oly to test.

It could also be memory timing on the v77 firmware of the 5050 because I haven't seen these problems reported with the v78 firmware.

Transcend just say to send the card back, which is a hassle because I ordered it from the USA. And it works fine in a reader, so I thought that I would just keep it for data transfer between work and home because I am fed up with all the corruption that I get from CD-RW's and HP DLA, InCD and DirectCD. It seems to work fine with XP and a couple of cheap CF readers.

But I now have to buy another 512Mb CF card from the USA, and I would prefer to get one that works this time.

One problem is that I have to buy a card without rebates, and that Lexar, which seems to be the safest bet, only comes at high prices but with big rebates in the USA.
Jola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 1:41 PM   #14

We ran into a similar problem with an earlier generation camera. It could not handle any card larger than 64mb, no matter what brand of CF card. Perhaps your camera has a 256 limit.
Marty1 is offline   Reply With Quote