Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 21, 2006, 1:57 PM   #1

Hello,

While using Adobe Photoshop CS2on Microsoft Windows Vista, i accidently unplugged the CF reader from the USB drive corrupting the card.

After using PhotoRescue Expert, i have a folder containing all of my THM and CRW files.

However, Adobe photoshop refuses to open the CRW files, claiming that they are not a supported file format.

Also, using Canon Viewer utility, it says that the files are correupted.

Does anyone know of any software that will rescue the CRW files. I do not need software to recover them from the Card, as i already have them on the computer, i just need software that will read them.

Any help is appreciated

-Travis Swentosky-
tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2006, 8:23 AM   #2
Administrator

Yes. David Coffin (the author of dcraw.c) has a utility designed specifically for your purpose.

Here's his description of it:

Quote:
clean_crw.c -- clean Canon CRW files
Recovered or undeleted CRW files often have junk appended to them that makes them unreadable. This program safely cleans CRW files.
You'll find the links to download the source code on this page (it's ANSI standard C source code):

http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/

I recently downloaded it for someone else with corrupted files.

With XP, after compiling it (you'd need a C Compiler to create a .exe file from source code), you just open a DOS (Command Prompt) by going to your Start Menu, and selecting RUN. Then, type in cmd and press enter to get a Command Prompt.

To use the program, navigate to the directory (folder) you downloaded it to, and type the program name, followed by one or more .crw file names that you want "cleaned". It would probably be easier for you to copy it to the folder containing the problem files and navigate to that folder for running it.

Usage Example (program name, followed by one or more .crw filenames that you want cleaned).I'd name the .exe file cleancrw.exe when compiling (versus clean_crw since a 9 character filename can mess you up with DOS prompts from time to time).

cleancrw img_0001.crw img_0002.crw img_0003.crw

I don't know if it will run under Vista or not (it's a command line program and Vista may or may not have some issues with these kinds of applications). It runs under XP, though.

I'd make sure to run it on copies of the files versus the originals (just to be safer).

Added:

I zipped it up and attached it to this post. This file (cleancrw.zip) contains a .exe file already compiled for Windows (cleancrw.exe) and the source code (cleancrw.c).

Attached Files
File Type: zip CLEANCRW.ZIP (40.2 KB, 134 views)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 9:00 AM   #3
Administrator

One more comment. It may not work on .cr2 files due to an internal difference with the formatting of them compared to .crw files (the programmay notrecognize them as being valid .crw files to clean).

I'm trying to get it to work on some corrupted .cr2 files for someone now, and we haven't managed to get it working yet. But, it may be that there is some junk in the files other than at the end of them causing the issue. We're still looking at them to see what problems they have.

After making sure it's not just the files, I may try to see if David can get involved and help out with a version that can work on the newer .cr2 files if he has the time.

Old May 23, 2006, 9:31 AM   #4

Thank you very much, it worked beautifully!!!!!!

-Travis-

Old May 23, 2006, 9:36 AM   #5
Administrator

Great. Thank David Coffin (he's the author of the program). You'll find his e-mail address on this page:

http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/

What camera model are you using, and were they .crw or .cr2 files?

I'd like to know for future reference when others have this problem (in case it works with some but not all raw files from Canon models).

Thanks.

Old May 23, 2006, 1:55 PM   #6

The camera was a Canon Digital Rebel

the file extension was .CRW
Old May 23, 2006, 2:10 PM   #7
Administrator

Thanks.