Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 21, 2006, 5:02 PM   #1

I shot a series of photos last night and a couple of short movie files.* One particular file (80MG) played fine from the card in QuickTime - card plugged into my G4 PowerBook via USB slot - but, when I tried to open the file again to play it it's corrupted.I tried opeing the file in the camera and it still reads, "this file contains no image data".* Can anyone help?
ksay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2006, 9:28 PM   #2

There are a number of file recovery programs out there. Unfortunately, I am not at my home computer to recall some of the names. I have file recovery pro, which does pretty well for hard drives. I haven't used it on flash cards. when i purchased my Lexar professional CF cards, they came with a recovery program on them - can't remember the name - but if you are close to needing another flash card (not because of the corrupt file - formatting will likely leave you with a usable card), buy the card and get the program free.

If you don't feel like buying the card, google "file recovery" and you should find lots of options. Many will give you a free trial, some fully functional, others will show you what they find on the card. If you see that the program finds the file, purchase it and hopefully recover the data. I haven't used this with MOV files. When I have had to do it with picture files, I usually end up with a few files that are missing significant data, but can get most of them. I suppose it is possible that a corrupt MOV file may be unplayable, depending on where the data loss is.

Kevin
klfatcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 2:45 AM   #3
E.T

ksay wrote:
Quote:
One particular file (80MG) played fine from the card in QuickTime - card plugged into my G4 PowerBook via USB slot - but, when I tried to open the file again to play it it's corrupted.
Did you made sure card wasn't being written when you pulled it out?
Because that's one of the surest ways for corrupting data.

Here's one program to try.
http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_medi...uk/welcome.htm
But if file still shows it looks badly like its content might be corrupted.

Also try playing it with this, proprietary softwares are generally POS for playing even slightly damaged files.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 8:35 AM   #4

I appreciate the help from you both.* I should have been more clear that I have a Mac.* Most of these recovery programs are pc based.* Also, I'm trying to recover a .mov file -- which is a movie -- not a photo file. * *Thanks.
ksay is offline   Reply With Quote