Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 9, 2002, 10:26 AM   #1

Default Card Reader Formatting

You would think that card readers would come with a warning about not to use for formatting cards that will used in digicams, but most card reader manufacters also sell memory cards.....
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2002, 12:34 PM   #2

Just curious what the problem is, any card you put in the camera should be able to be formatted no matter how it was previously formatted. I personally computer format my cards every once in a while and scan the card for errors, just so I know the card is ok. I believe that you should hard format (not quick format) the card to clear floating bits of data, and I'm not sure if most cameras don't just do a quick format. After that I just put the card in the camera and format it before use.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2002, 5:59 PM   #3

Brooks,
Many cameras cannot recogize a card that has been formatted with card reader. Olympus is one. According to the manuel once you do it with a card reader you will never be able to use in camara, I tend to go with what the manuel says, been with computers since 1977, I build about 100 a year, also I always read the "read me" files. I believe that "no" computer or device hooked to it should have a personallity.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2002, 6:08 PM   #4
NHL

You're both right!

If you format in fat-16 (or remember the DOS prompt?) there should be no problem to use it again in the camera.

ALL digital cameras abide to the DCF file format, which is fat-16, so from older OS it's OK!

[Edited on 7-11-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2002, 5:35 PM   #5

My mistake. It works in my case, but I guess if your manual says otherwise you better follow it. Does that mean you have to buy your memory cards from Olympus, or cards formatted for Olympus. That would be a negative for me, I don't like being stuck with a "vendor only" supply.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote