Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 27, 2003, 6:10 PM   #1

Default Can't access SMC with Olympus - PLEASE HELP!

I read a lot but nothing helps...
PLease help me with the problem:

I have a FAT16 formatted SMC 128 MB (under Win xp pro SP1) and I want to use it in a Olympus camera.

I have a PQI UB2.0 cardreader (Travel Flash All in one)

The Smprep.exe not work with my reader (tested on Xp).

I tried to make a backup of an other 128MB card that works in the camera (also FAT 16 formatted... I see from the disk editor....)

but it failed.
I tried to format it in an (old) 1,5Mpixel Fuji camera - doesn't work.

I can't understand why it doesn't work with Winhex:

Tools -> Disk Tools -> clone disk
source file: the SMC (which is ok, but not new!)
destination: image-file to disk

copy entire source file: marked

OK

Then I copy the Image the same way back from file -> broken SMC

But it won't work

Where is the mistake?

Are there any adjustments have to be make?

Can someone give me exact instructions how to make exact image of an SMC?

Is it possible that someone can help me out with an image of an (compressed) 128MB SMC?

Please help me!
Howlie G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2003, 9:20 PM   #2
lg

I know this probably isn't very helpful, but no doubt your card got formatted in the card reader, and it's no longer compatible with the format of your camera. The same thing happened to me, so I FEEL YOUR PAIN! My remedy was to have Olympus replace the card under warranty, but I don't know if you have that option.

Unfortunately, this is a much-too-common problem that has come up in this forum on this board. If you haven't already, check back in this forum and also in the Olympus forum for several remedies shown to work by others. I, too, couldn't get SMPREP.EXE to work with my system, and if it ever came up again I was going to see if I could get an expert lesson from voxmagna on the use of WinHex.

It looks like now would be an excellent time for an entrance from stage left, voxmagna! If you can help, please chime in.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2003, 9:48 AM   #3
Administrator

Card Wiper beta for Windows

This is a FREE download from the PhotoRescue folks, the URL above will prompt you to save a file called CW.ZIP, not open a web page. Card Wiper is a Windows program that will use your card reader to write your memory card full of zeros. Why do this you ask? If you've ever put your card in the camera and recv'd an error message and been unable to format it then this free utility may be the answer to your problems unless the card is physically damaged.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2003, 10:27 AM   #4

Thank you for the link Steve, but I tested it yesterday and it didn't work.

But I already solved the problem !
I was in camera-shop and format the SMC with a Fuji Finepix 602.

And it worked...!!!!

Yesterday I tried it already with an 1,5 Mpixel old but goldie Fuji camera - and formatting didn't work.
But I think the problem was only the big media of about 128MB... I don't know...

It would be very fine if anyone can post me a "simple" (step-by-step description how to make an (image)backup of an 128MB SMC.

Thank you for your help!!!!
Old Apr 28, 2003, 6:40 PM   #5

Hi, Mega frustration, just did you a full and wholesome post, but it bombed out wanting me to re register and everything disappeared!!

Short notes only I'm afraid:

Winhex: Fix write protect tab to working card (just in case). You need a registered copy to save a coy of an image! Open Disc, select removable drive with card in. Select View/show/details panel (useful info, but floating panel has a habit of going away) Read everything about your card's structure. File, Create backup. Backup filename is NOT auto. Put in your own path and filename. Note the image has a .whx extension. If you lose it, search on *.whx. select compressed backup. Leave the sectors saved boxes filled in for the whole card. Hit OK.

To restore card and transfer the image:File,Load Backup (select the image file you just saved) and clone the card. NB IMAGES MUST BE COPIED TO THE SAME SIZE CARD. If you doubt your work, select File Manager, Compare and compare your two cards. They should be identical.

Tips: before transferring an image to a suspect card, wipe the dodgy card:Edit,Fill Disc Sectors, 00.

When you have proved you can clone a good working card, you might find the copy full of data (if your compressed image is taken from a used card). So take the copy, fill all sectors after about 20 with zeros,put back in cam and do a re-format. Now make a new compressed image of the card which should be only a few Kb.

If you have no working cards, you can format from DOS in Win2K/XP as FAT 16. A 128Mb card needs 16,384 bytes per cluster. The command line is FORMAT (e.g K /FS: FAT /A: 16384 (check the standard cluster sizes by typing HELP FORMAT). From memory, this is a full format so the card gets wiped of all data.

However, your card will now have a MS structured boot record. Look at sector zero, you'll see reference to MSDOS at the end. Cams hate this, MP3's don't mind. When cams see this they spit out wrong media type messages. Your cams will put Fuji or Oly, somewhere in the header and I think this is what the cam likes to see. So, you can fool the cam byformatting in DOS, then filling the first few sectors with zeros. It should now accept the card as blank media, with no data, and format it.

Note: if you have an Oly with pano mode option, you can only make an Oly lookalike card by cloning an image from a working card, or writing the correct bytes with Winhex - checkout the Winhex forum and Google. If you have formatted a card in an older cam, the newer cam might object to the file structure, thinking you had mixed up cards in your pocket - but I think you were right, probably 32 or 64Mb max card size.

Once you have made an image and tested it, you can do anything to the card, short of jumping on it, and bring it back to life. SMPREP takes away the pain as well. But it is a utility authored by SM micro who make Dazzle readers. I believe it will only work with other readers with a particular type chipset. I bought my Dazzle for peace of mind - it came with PREPS for all card types and a DVD slideshow maker!

NB: NONE OF YOU GUYS WOULD HAVE THESE PROBLEMS, IF CAMS DID A FULL FORMAT. instead they do a 'quick format' leaving you with the option to recover your pics if you accidentally format/erase. Still, it's created a booming business for card recovery software.

Your cards are not broken - they are just sleeping!!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2003, 9:04 PM   #6
lg

Thanks for the detailed post, voxmagna! If I ever kludge another card, I'll know exactly what to do.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2003, 1:42 AM   #7

Get an old 16 or 32 card and practice a bit first - it gives a lot of confidence!
Old Apr 29, 2003, 3:20 AM   #8

Thank you Voxmagna.
Yesterday I tried to make (full) backup of a 128MB SMC and after this to copy to the "sleeping" 128MB SMC. But it didn't work.

But I will try your way if I get another 16MB SMC .
By the way I have the C-40 Zoom.

Thank you for your help!
Old Apr 29, 2003, 5:38 AM   #9

Send me your email by Private Message and I'll mail you a compressed empty 128Mb SM card image (.whx) after washing with SMPREP, that I know can be formatted in my Fuji 602 OK. It should only be a few Kbytes. Remember, you still have to re format in the camera and take one picture to put the cam file structure on it - you won't have the Oly bites, but can save normal pics ok.

When you say you did a 'backup' did you compare the good and bad cards afterwards? You may have some bad physical memory areas on your card, in which case it might be dead, instead of just sleeping.

Please note I'm not doing this for the WWW! more than one request and somebody can volunteer to host blank .whx image files on their site! I'm surprised nobody in the OLY camp hasn't already done this!
Old Apr 30, 2003, 8:35 AM   #10

Ok, thanks for the image I received per mail!