Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 29, 2003, 3:39 AM   #1

Default "this card cannot be used" error msg in nikon cp35

my girlfriend just got a nikon cp3500 and everything was ok except for the dinky stock 16mb cf card which easily gets full. so i got a ridata 16x 128mb card and sent it to her.

when she got it, she sticks it in the digicam and proceeded to take some shots, after around 6 shots, the aforementioned error msg pops up. she formats the card and still after 6 shots, the same error msg pops up.

has anyone experienced the same problem?

i guess ill have to swap the cf card for a new one.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
anthonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2003, 7:04 AM   #2

What res. setting is she using? Is she shooting RAW or TIFF in multi shot mode? If she tries a lower res. setting (smaller saved file), can she get more shots on the card? Does the cam do Movie? does she get the same problem? When she checks what's on the card, how much space is used? Have you told her to reformat the card you sent her, in the camera?

Always test cards in cams on movie. If the card fills, the card is quick, if the movie recording freezes after 20 secs or so recording - the card is too slow. PS I don't have this cam.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2003, 5:11 PM   #3

heya, ty for replying to my post

nikon cp3500 is a 3.2 megapixel camera that shoots in jpg mode i think. using the highest resolution settings, the file size is around 1.6mb. theoretically, for a 128mb card, you can put in 80 photos of the high res settings. now she only gets 6 shots and i dont know why.

i guess i should have told her to format the cf card before she used it but she was so excited to test it out. could that be a problem?

havent told her to try testing the card in movie mode, ill tell her later then.

another question then, can u reformat the cf card by just connecting the camera to the pc via usb?

regards,

anthony
anthonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2003, 8:03 PM   #4

Quote:
another question then, can u reformat the cf card by just connecting the camera to the pc via usb?
Definitely not, unless you want to risk screwing up a card. There are ways but not advised for you at the mo. Read the manual, download it from their website and tell her what buttons to press to format a card in the camera.

Yes, I know what files you expect in theory - but if she's selected highest quality and its TIFF, you won't be getting many pics on a card. How many pics does the cam say it can take? if it's 6 with a new card, what happens if you select much lower quality? does the number go up. Suggest you read the manual for her and get her to tell you exactly what files are on a card after the error message, how big they are, and what the pc thinks is the amount of space left on the card when you read it in the cam.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote