Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 29, 2006, 10:50 PM   #1

I have a Dazzle Compact Flash memory card reader and also an Epson R-320 which reads several types of memory cards. I was told this evening that I should not be just pulling the cards from the reader without first clicking on "Safely Add/Remove New Hardware." I question this as I would think it would disable that particular USB and it couldn't be used again until the computer is rebooted. Any guru's out there who might have an answer to this. A software engineer told me about this. I've been just pulling the card from the reader (compact flash, Sony memory sticks and xD media) after downloading pictures for two years and have never had a problem. Thanks for any answers you can give me.

docgecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2006, 12:06 AM   #2
Administrator

It's not necessary for most USB devices, don't worry about it.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 2:07 AM   #3
E.T

docgecko wrote:
Quote:
without first clicking on "Safely Add/Remove New Hardware." I question this as I would think it would disable that particular USB and it couldn't be used again until the computer is rebooted.
It disables only connected device, when you plug it back it's recognized again.
But if card reader is fixed model in 3.5" or 51/4" slot then you can't get it recognized again without booting. (/I haven't tried would Windows recognize it again after some time delay)

Reason for general need to safely remove hot pluggaple device is that for some storage devices writes are cached and not necessarily done immediately but when caching algorithm decides and if you're pulling plug off at that moment it can corrupt file system in worst case.
At least caching is always used for hard drives.
For many USB devices there's selection in drives properties where you can select either "best performance" (cached) or "instant removing".
Later means all reads and writes are done at same moment when you do it and when read/write light is off disconnecting is safe.
At least card readers and USB memory sticks seems to have later as default.

You'll find that selection by going to Explorer and opening properties with some drive selected. In properties window got to device-tab, then first select right device and properties. Option is in second tab.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 10:35 AM   #4

Thanks ET but it seems your reply refers to the actual reader. My question is can I pull "the media card from the reader safely without using the Safely Add/Remove Hardware." I did look and found the option you speak of about caching or not. Quick removal was selected. Thanks again for the quick reply from you and Steve.
docgecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 8:34 PM   #5

I go to my computer, right click the drive in use and double click eject. If the card has a name such as Lexar, when it is ejected the name will revert to whatever drive letter is assigned to it. You then can remove the card. If the card does not have a name, I double click eject and wait a few seconds. it's not necessary, but it doesn't take long to do.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote