Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 31, 2006, 10:44 AM   #1

My first post! Sold my Axim x51v and getting a Canon S3. hope to post here more in the future.

It seems the difference in cards is about 10mb/sec but I can't figure out if the camera can even use this "bandwith". The price difference is not great between the 2gb models of each so I guess thinking towards the future isn't a bad idea. Anyone know for sure if the S3 will benefit from a type III as opposed to type II?

many thanks and pleased to be here!

Dr. Cilantro
doctorcilantro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2006, 10:56 AM   #2
Administrator

No such thing as a Type III - you are talking about CompactFlash (CF) memory devices, there are two - Type I which is most solid state CF cards and Type II which are Microdrives, a tiny hard disk drive. You are better offwith a solid state CF card, it uses less battery power and has no moving parts.

See these pages:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/flash_memory.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/high-...y_storage.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/microdrive.html
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 12:48 PM   #3

Sorry I didn't post regarding SD type III or II. I am pretty sure the S3 uses SD or MMC which I am really unfamiliar with. I just sold my 8gb Seagate CF card to so I hope it uses the SD card....:?

thanks
Dr. C
doctorcilantro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 7:52 PM   #4
mrb

The S3 IS does use SD cards, which I believe are currently the most widely used in consumer digicams (therefore, the cheapest from what I understand). As you note the speed is about 10MB/sec difference between a SanDisk Ultra II (10 MB/sec) and SanDisk Extreme III (20 MB/sec). I believe that the higher speed cards are helpful for burst/continuous shooting modes and for video recording. They may also download faster.

I got a Canon S2 IS a few months ago. I purchased a 512 MB PNY card for $5 from Staples (after sale, rebate, and store coupon) and a SanDisk Ultra II 2 GB from Amazon for $72. I also saw the Ultra II 1 GB for $47, but figured it would be worth the extra money for the 2 GB. My Ultra II does seem to perform faster than the slower 512 MB card, but I don't know that the S2 or S3 would really utilize the added advantage of the Extreme III. I understand from some other posts here that consumer P&S cameras (non-DSLR) are also limited by the in-camera buffer where the photo is written before it gets transferred to the memory card. I'm no expert, so maybe some of the others here will have more info.

Try some searches on this topic within these forums. I know I have seen some posts on this topic before.

Good luck.
mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 6:00 PM   #5

doctorcilantro wrote:
Quote:
My first post! Sold my Axim x51v and getting a Canon S3. hope to post here more in the future.

It seems the difference in cards is about 10mb/sec but I can't figure out if the camera can even use this "bandwith". The price difference is not great between the 2gb models of each so I guess thinking towards the future isn't a bad idea. Anyone know for sure if the S3 will benefit from a type III as opposed to type II?

many thanks and pleased to be here!

Dr. Cilantro
Quote:
I think maybe doctorcilantro is asking about the SanDisk Ultra II andd the Extreme III. If that's the case, the Ultra II lets my S2 IS work at full speed. I don't think the S3 needs a faster card than the S2.
DigitalNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote