Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 2, 2006, 9:56 AM   #1

I have a Z3 that I got reconditioned about two months ago. I am using a 1 gig Sandisk card. Twice now, after some 300 shots and a number of videos shots (all within a few hour period) the camera comes up with a message, "Unable To Use Card." From that point on I cannot access the card, neither in the Z3, or my Z2. The Z3 will not even let me reformat the card. However my Z2 will let me do this. Using the card reader attached to my pc the computer just tells me that the card is not formatted and do I want to format it. I also indicates that the are 0 bytes on the card. Yesterday, I flew over an area I will be surveying to get shots of the shoals (I am an underwater archaeologist). Being leary of using the Z3, I used my Z2 and after some 300 shots it gave me a system error followed by the now familiar "Unable To Use Card." I reformatted the card and reflew the pattern. Lo, after some 300 shots the message came up again. Has anyone experienced the same problem? If so, was a solution found? I just cannot afford to lose those shots that cannot be repeated or keep paying for expensive plane rides the end up with no images.
Chris Amer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2006, 12:21 PM   #2
Administrator

You may want to check and make sure you've got the latest firmware installed in your Z3. They made some changes in the largest SD card supported in the newer firmware.

So, they may have made changes that improve compatiblity, too (and I don't know what size SD cards the original firmware supported, as it may have been limited to 512MB).

The installation guide shows you how to check it.

Firmware Installation Guide for DiMAGE Z3

Here are some links to download the latest firmware:

http://ca.konicaminolta.com/support/...ers/index.html

You may also have a bad Secure Digital Card. If you've got another one, I'd try it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 3:34 PM   #3
E.T

How much those 300+something shots took space?

Best would be trying to copy big file to card but just copying lot of normal files should also do the job for finding if card is faulty.

I myself had 1GB CF card failure which appeared when camera tried to save anything past ~470MB causing freeezing of camera.
Space before that worked normally but any attempts to access rest of the card caused freezing of device in use, regardless was it camera or card reader.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 1:10 PM   #4

In all cases I had used approximately 250 megs of the 1 gig sd card.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 1:11 PM   #5

Thanks. I'll check the firmware.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 2:10 PM   #6

Thanks. I'll check the firmware.