Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 11, 2006, 11:48 PM   #1

I am buying a camera soon so I also need a SD card for it, I have found a great deal on a standard speed (probably like 10X) SD card. It is a Kingston card and for 1GB it is about $15. However, I will buy a high speed card if it's needed. I will not EVER be using it for movies, just still-pictures. So will I be okay? What advantages will I notice with a faster card?
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2006, 5:03 PM   #2

Please help, if I don't get a reply I'm buying the standard card tomorrow, and I'd rather not need to go back to the store and buy a high speed one.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 5:42 PM   #3

Hello, the memory speed (read/write) would be a limiting factor if you are planing on taking photos on continous mode.

If not, you donĀ“t have to worry much. But for the slight difference on the price I would say go for a 60x at least.

Hope i could be of any help. Enjoy your new camera!, :|.
hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 5:49 PM   #4

Thanks for the help... I'm not sure if this is camera dependant or not, but would it be a huge difference? Like I don't care if it takes 5 seconds between pictures instead of 2, but I don't want to wait 30 seconds between shots (the camera is 5.1 MP btw and I'll likely by using RAW format).

The thing is, it isn't a small price difference, it's like $15 for the 1GB standard card and $60 for the 1GB high speed card... so unless it will be absolutely horrible, I think I'll take the standard.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 8:34 PM   #5

I tried a standard card in my camera and it increased the cycle time between photos by about 1 second compared to my 66X card. I think that is about all the difference you will see with most cameras.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 8:49 PM   #6

Alright, 1 second doesn't really matter to me, thank you very much.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 1:35 PM   #7

Just one additional word: If you take videos with your camera, the standard speed card will cause the video to stop once the internal buffer is full (usually a few seconds).A high-speed card will allow you to take video up to the full amount of available memory. Personally, I don't take videos on still cameras. But this is one of the standard problems with slow cards for those who do.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote