Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 3, 2003, 6:35 PM   #1

Default Olympus C-840L SmartMedia card problems

Hi,

I currently am the owner of the following digi cam. I use SmartMedia cards from SanDisk the size of 16mb's. Anyhow i stupidly formatted the cards in Windows as it asked for this to be done. Now the card doesnt work anymore (cant open in Windows). But it can save the pictures the cam takes on the card, although cant be seen when i read the card. I currently use a SanDisk USB Cardreader to read my cards.

I tried the guide that has been used very often but it doesnt seem to find the SmartMedia drivers as it says?

I have the latest drivers on my card reader installed.
If anyone have a clue what might be the problem i would be more than pleased for replies.

Thanks in advance. 8)
KiLLaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2003, 10:33 PM   #2
Administrator

You probably used Windows' native 32-bit FAT format. Digicams can only read 16-bit FAT. Right-click on the icon for the drive that your SanDisk reader shows up as and the select the Format option. When the format window opens there is a drop-down box that says "FAT 32" - there is another option that is called "FAT" - select this and format your SM card. Put it into camera and see if the camera's Format command will now work. If it does then all is back to normal. Always format memory cards in the camera, not in the card reader.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2003, 5:41 AM   #3

Hi there,

There is only one option in the dropdown menu and thats "FAT" which i have been using all along. Thats what is/has been annoying me for some time now. I do not have a Cam => PC cable for my camera so im currently just using a CardReader to transfer the data.

//Maziar
Old May 4, 2003, 5:39 PM   #4
lg

Unfortunately, this is a typical problem with SmartMedia cards. Steve is right-- the problem is that the card is formatted in a mode that your camera can't recognize. Check the earlier posts in this Forum for solutions to your problem. It has been discussed here at length.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2003, 5:44 PM   #5

Im not quite sure which forum your refering to unless its regarding that smrep thing which seem to have failed for me.

Could you perhaps give a link or the name of which post it is?
Many thanks in advance.

//Maziar
Old May 5, 2003, 10:55 PM   #6
lg

Here's one to get you started: http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...=5063&start=25.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote