Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 19, 2006, 9:57 AM   #1

Hello,

I was wondering what memory card (brand/capacity/speed) would be ideal for my Kodak v550 considering,

I would like it to be no greater than 1GB (because of cost)
I would like to make occasional videos of good quality (no noticeable lag)

I like how 1GB cards can hold approx. 500 pictures but I've read on this forum that it's better to have a couple 512mb cards instead because:
a) with a 1GB card you run the risk of losing too many pictures if the card happens to die
b)1GB cards are relatively slower than lesser capacity cards.

Is it relatively common to have memory cards die on you? And what do they mean by slower? Could somebody explain to me how memory cards affect speed (speed of what exactly)? Finally, let's say I decide on 1GB, do I then have to decide what speed, or does each capacity card come with a corresponding speed?

I'm a complete newbie to this dc/memory card thing, any thoughtful suggestions and answers would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
starcrossed19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2006, 6:28 PM   #2

I bought one of these last week:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820211035

Understand that the above product is "Open Box", and comes only with a 15-day return policy. A brand new card is $20.00 before shipping. So, you could get (2) 1 GB cards for $40 before shipping The 150x 1 GB cards are only $3.50 more.

I've been happy with my A-DATA 2GB 150x card that I purchased back in Dec.

As you will see, the "sweet spot" in pricing now is with the 1GB cards. The 512 cards are actually more expensive!

Personally, I'd go with (2) 1GB cards. Good luck!
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 4:31 AM   #3

Hi ya,

the read/write speed is how fast you can get the memory on and off the card. if you are just doing snapshots of family and friends and the odd video a "regular" speed card will be sufficient such as a sandisk 1gb sd £19, or if you want one that's faster you could get the sandisk ultra 2 1gb which is £25.75 at www.emartbuy.co.uk where I bought my memory from.

With regards to brands, I think sandisk are the most popular but they all come with warrantys, it should state on the site you buy it off how long it's for.

tom
tom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 9:43 AM   #4

coppertrail - i've had time to do more research and that is an incredible deal. i think as a newbiehowever id feel more comfortable with a name brand, but you're right, why gettwo 512mb's when u canget morefor your money withtwo 1GB's.To start I will getone 1GB card, definitely. thanks for your input and yes i need the luck. i am madly obsessing over this, lol!

tom - thanks for the info. as far as the memory speed goes, I will be leaving the countryforclose to a yearwith no electronic stores, very little internet access, and no computer of my own.Do u (and anyone else who wants to jump in)think the higher speed might be useful in speedingthings upthe few timesI'm on a computer? plus there willprobably be a lot of random,cool, opportunities to shoot some videos which I wouldn't want to be threatened by low memory speed (or is that a newbie assumption?) Based on those things, do you think I shouldopt for faster memory speed?

**I hope two cards is enough for that duration. This first memory cardwill bea gift from a friend and I can only afford to buy one more before I go.On amazon I just found the sandisk ultra II 1GB($36) and kingston elite pro 1GB($33)but it doesn't include shipping. My friend was planning to spend no more than $30 and honestly I myself am really broke......On the other hand, the standard sandisk is $30 (with shipping and free $25 shutterfly gift) and standard kingston 1GB is$23 + shipping.

What should I do/buy? I'd only push the budget if it would make a big enough difference in my experience overseas. Conundrum! Thanks again in advance! :-)
starcrossed19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:33 PM   #5

If you plan on taking video, a high-speed card is a necessity. Slow cards won't do video because they can't write the date being recorded fast enough.

As for having enough, I personally would never be able to last a year with two 1GB cards... I have used up 256MB in just a week(and thats with deleting most of my bad shots). If you go through your pictures and only keep the best of the best, then you should have enough, but if you take pictures of EVERYTHING like me, and like to keep even your not-so-good shots, then I would get more storage. I'm going to Victoria for 10 days and I plan to buy an extra card because I don't think my 512MB will be enough:-)
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 5:36 AM   #6

That's interesting because I was using an old card that I bought from Jessops at the weekend to film some shenannigans in the back garden, which just has a standard speed (not sure what that is, maybe read/write3mbs)and they came out fine when i transfered them onto my laptop, infact I was really impressed with the sort of quality I got!
tom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 8:47 AM   #7

I think it has something to do with quality of the movie, I may be mistaken but I think my camera takes TV quality video (if I'm understanding the resolution right, anyways) so that would take up a lot more memory than lower quality movie.

tom21 wrote:
Quote:
That's interesting because I was using an old card that I bought from Jessops at the weekend to film some shenannigans in the back garden, which just has a standard speed (not sure what that is, maybe read/write3mbs)and they came out fine when i transfered them onto my laptop, infact I was really impressed with the sort of quality I got!
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote