Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 20, 2006, 3:25 PM   #1

Does it matter which brand memory card you use? I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ7. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Deb308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2006, 4:15 PM   #2

In addition to memory size and memory type (SD, xD, CF, etc.), memory cards are also advertised for the speed of reading and writing photo data to the memory card.

For example, you might notice that for a given manufacturer, the manufacturer might make several different memory cards for different situations. You might see a "general purpose" 2GB memory card for $45 and a "optimized for digital cameras" memory card for $90 by the same manufacturer.

Another thing to consider is what brands your camera manufacturer recommends. In some camera manuals, it will list memory cards that were tested with the camera. Does your camera's manual have any such information? Generally, if you go by the manual's recommendations, you'll be fine.

Otherwise, popular brands of memory cards that I hear about are Sandisk, Toshiba, and Lexar. There are obviously many more brands out there.
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 9:18 PM   #3

Thank you for your help. I didn't get the camera yet so I don't know what it has in the manual. I should have it any day. I checked out 2gb cards on newegg.com but there are so many to choose from. I guess I'll wait and read the manual before ordering anything.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:27 AM   #4

I bought a 1 gig sd 66x Ritek card from Newegg for $27 shipped. They make a higher speed one too and also both come in 2 gig sizes.

My coworker shoots weddings on his high end Canons and uses the 2 gig CF from Ritek.

So far we have both been happy with what seems to be pretty fast cards for really cheap dough.
corvairfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 2:15 PM   #5

Sandisk is my personal favourite for memory cards. However, what you should be concerned about is speed. For general picture taking, a normal (usually cheap) card works just fine. I use a 512MB Sandisk card with a very low speed (10x) and it works fine for my daily picture taking.

The big important point here is if you plan to use your camera for videos. With my slow card, I can record about 3 seconds of video before it starts skipping and lagging. So for video, I would recommend at the very least, a 60x card. In my opinion, speed is more important than brand name.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 3:01 PM   #6

I mostly use my camera for concert shots and videos. Should I use a higher speed card for that? 133X or 150X?
Old Jun 22, 2006, 1:16 PM   #7

It is recommended that you use higher speed memory cards for videos, like Morag2 suggested.

Static concert shots won't need such a high speed memory card, except if you are trying to take 2-3 shots very quickly in succession (they call this continuous or burst shooting). If you think you will be doing that at concerts, then you'll want a fast memory card.
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 2:50 PM   #8

Thank you
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:08 PM   #9

i have the patriot 133x 2gb from newegg.com and it is great! no complaints at all.

kajtek123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 10:41 PM   #10

SO the speed of the memory card AFFECTS the picture/video quality? or just video? I thought speed only affected camera-PC transfer speed...
omGARY is offline   Reply With Quote