Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:18 AM   #1

Hello,

My Konika Dimage Z5 does not read a Kingmax 150x 2GB SD card. On the official web site it is said that 2GB cards should be supported by the Z5 but when I start the camera I get a "unable to use card" message. However, I am able to use 256 or 1GB SD card.

I don't know if I there is a need of a frimware update. Anyway, there is no firmware released to be downloaded for the Z5, only for Z3!

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks

Ionux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2006, 4:24 PM   #2
E.T

Have you tried formatting card to FAT in PC?

And have you tried card in other camera? Because Z5 supports 2GB cards:
http://www.lexar.com/2gbsd/index.html#english
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 6:31 AM   #3

I have just formatted the card in a PC as FAT but it still gives me: "unable to use card"!

I have also tried my card (Kingmax) with a Canon Ixus 55 and they work just fine together.

I don't understand why it is should/might work only with specific SD cards like SanDisk or Panasonic!

Unfortunatly I didn't try it (yet) with other 2GB SD cards
Old Jun 22, 2006, 7:58 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
I don't understand why it is should/might work only with specific SD cards like SanDisk or Panasonic!
IMO, the main reason that you see Konica Minolta testing Secure Digital cards from Panasonic, Toshiba and Sandisk is because these three manufacturers designed Secure Digital.

Most other "manufucturers" are just using rebranded components for their SD cards.

Manufacturers using rebranded components also tend to change component suppliers often (making it harder for a camera manufacturer to test for compatibility).

So, just because one card works from a manufacturer, doesn't mean another one will. There is a cardinfo utility you can get for some of the PDAs around that can often tell you the real brand of card you're using, and I've seen ways reported to tell using Windows before, too.

Here is the tested cards list for your Z5:

http://ca.konicaminolta.com/support/...ty/detail.html

That doesn't mean that others won't work. But, cameras can be a be particular about memory cards that are fully compatible, especially when you get into larger sizes.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 8:10 AM   #5
Administrator

Also try using the Windows Disk Admin tool to format the card (making sure to format it as FAT). I had a CompactFlash card not long ago that none of my cameras would recognize. I tried formatting it using a variety of tools (including the format option you see when "right clicking" on a drive in Windows Explorer with no luck).

For some odd reason, using the Windows Disk Admin utility fixed it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 3:23 AM   #6

Thanks for the useful info!

I tryed to format the card with the Windows tool but it is still not accepted by the camera. I will try to change the card with one that hopefuly will work.

10x