Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:54 PM   #1

Can someone please educate me why memory sticks/cardson eBay are less than HALF the price compared to retailers?? I want to buy a Sony 1GB memory stick duo pro -- ARE there fake memory sticks/cards out there??
omGARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2006, 8:47 PM   #2

I have purchased various cards from ebay and they are all legit. For the most part they are straight from somewhere in asia, they buy huge bulk from the manufacturer and sell them over ebay, they can do this because the normal rules for "lowest advertised price" do not apply because they are not being sold in an actual "store" (i'm assuming). As far as those that are within the US and being sold over ebay I'm guessing they have either purchased in bulk over ebay, or direct from the manufacturer. I have as stated before, purchased memory cards, both from us and asia sellers ... everything has been perfect and no problems to report!!!!

-Daniel
Poseidon04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 7:11 PM   #3

Go into the Ebay Community boards and hit the Safe Harbor topic and then do a search on memory cards. You'll find a lot of people with problems buying cheapo memory cards/sticks from Ebay.

I'm sure there are many legit sellers on Ebay but there are also a ton of people selling counterfeits.

I don't buy electronics from Ebay anymore unless the seller is a major company that I'm familiar with....because I got burned already (on a battery, not a card but a lesson learned...)
pxlbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 10:52 PM   #4

I just recently purchased a sony new in package 2GB high speed memory stick pro duo for my DSC W70B from ebay and it works great. $75 CDN to my door from BC to Ontario. No problems so far.
Here is a link to where I got it from.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...Pr2_PcY_BIN_IT
bkkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 12:36 AM   #5

I also got the 2GB one off ebay, which came with my dsc-w50B. (seller was supposed to give me only the 1GB). Anyways, I checked out ur link above, and everything about the packaging was the same, except for the Big SONY sign above and the M symbol (below the stick) -- they're printed GREY on mine. And one more thing, the writing on the Red Bar (on top of the stick) -- mine is printed in English, "Exclusively used in devices for Memory Stick Pro"
bkkm, What does the back of your packaging say? Mine is Made in Japan. Then inside, there is an instructions pamphlet made in really really environmentally friendly paper -- "Printed on 100% recycled paper using VOC (Volatile Organic Compound)-free vegetable oil based ink.
Tell me what you think.. I can scan some photos of it if anybody's interested. It could be fake, but as long as it works.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 10:10 AM   #6

It sounds the same as mine. The only japanese writing on mine is under the PSP in the top right corner. The big sony logo is grey. It has the little hologram thingy beside the big logo and it is made in Japan and has the super recycled paper. If it is a fake... it is one heck of a job. The important thing is that it seems to work good. Thanks for the info.
Bryan
bkkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 9:44 PM   #7

granted it may be fakeand it works, how can i test the performance compared to orig ones? i would assume that they write slower but how much slower?
ekek888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 11:10 PM   #8

they write fast enough for me :blah:
Old Jul 9, 2006, 11:14 PM   #9

on a serious note-- fakes should write slower, how much slower, i can't tell.. i'm not a professional photographer. however, the memory stick i got works well, and saves videos without any problems.