Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 23, 2006, 6:49 PM   #1

Just bought a new Transcend 4 Gb 120x card for my Minolta Dimage 7Hi but get the unable-to-use-card message although the card works fine in my reader. I have the latest firmware. Should I stick with 1Gb cards? How about microdrives?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
cadboroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2006, 8:10 PM   #2
Administrator

Sorry, anything over 2GB requires a 32 Bit FAT (File Allocation Table), and the 7Hi only supports a 16 bit FAT.

In other words, stick with 2GB or smaller card for the 7Hi (and I've seen users report that 2GB cards will work in it).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 9:10 PM   #3

thanks so much for the advice - I guess if I had applied my brain a bit more intensely I would have figured that out beforehand... now I have yet another excuse to upgrade my camera, though I still really like it.

My next step is to purchase a 2Gb card....

regards from Oz

cadboroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 2:47 AM   #4
E.T

cadboroguy wrote:
Quote:
now I have yet another excuse to upgrade my camera, though I still really like it.
Problem is just that there really isn't anything to which update... real prosumers are practically dead and current cameras are menu surfing P&S.
KonicaMinolta A2 would be natural update (and nearly only camera which would be updates) but its production was discontinued really prematurely because of price competition from low end dSLRs and there haven't been any cameras with similar features.

I haven't myself tried but you might be able to make 2GB partition into card which be formatted to FAT.
http://www.pscience5.net/CFPartition.htm
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote