Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 6, 2003, 10:59 PM   #1
ade

Default Why is ebay memory so cheap?!!

Is there a reason why a 256 mb SanDisk card is around $50-$60 at various online stores while the same brand and size card on ebay can be as cheap as $1? The only explanation I can think of is the read/write speed, but why the huge disparity?
ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2003, 11:55 PM   #2

Can you actually *buy* it for 1 dollar? Or is that the opening bid?

Also, there are many scams on ebay. Some are for stores that put amazing prices on things just to draw you to their store. Then the item it out of stock or other tricks to get you to them. Then they try to get you to buy other (way over priced) items. It's an amazing scam, actually.

Three old adages are even truer when applied to ebay:
"You get what you pay for."
"If it too good to be true, then it probably isn't."
"There is a sucker born every minute."

Personally, I don't buy through ebay. I view it like gambling. Most are real honest people just selling stuff. But enough are not that I don't want to deal with the hassle. This attitude is costing me money, but I think that is saving me frustration... and I can afford to spend a little more money and keep my local businesses in business.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2003, 8:47 AM   #3

Default Re: Why is ebay memory so cheap?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade
Is there a reason why a 256 mb SanDisk card is around $50-$60 at various online stores while the same brand and size card on ebay can be as cheap as $1? The only explanation I can think of is the read/write speed, but why the huge disparity?
That's probably the opening bid. I've seen SD Cards sell for maybe $47 and then you have to pay outrageous shipping charges! I think ** SOME ** people on eBay are inflating the shipping charges to make a profit. Let's face it, shipping just one SD card Priority Mail w/o insurance, etc... should be less than $3 or $4, but I have seen shipping charges that start at $7 + up. You might as well buy from Amazon.com which gives you free ground shipping for anything over $25.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2003, 3:41 AM   #4

in my experience, eBay has low prices, but not THAT low. for the genuine product, you might only save about 20-30% of the MSRP. I got my 64mb xD card for about $35 ($50 MSRP).
gokou1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2003, 3:56 AM   #5

xD cards 64 Meg $32-$33 @ buy.com. Fuji card is currently free shipping. 128 meg cards about $58. Select computers, search for xD. circuitcity.com was showing the xD to CF adapter for $39.99, handy if you have a printer that can print directly from the card.
Samting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2003, 7:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Let's face it, shipping just one SD card Priority Mail w/o insurance, etc... should be less than $3 or $4, but I have seen shipping charges that start at $7 + up.
My gf and I have sold on ebay, so we kinda have a feel for what is a good price for shipping and whats overcharging. Usps priority mail is $3.85 to start with, then you start adding things like insurance and delivery confirmation, it does add up. We always did our best to only charge what the shipping charges really are. I've also seen sellers on ebay defend what they charge for shipping (these ppl are the ones who charge $7+ for their shipping.)

Ebay is just one of those places where you'll get screwed if you don't watch what yer doin:P
macleod76 is offline   Reply With Quote