Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 25, 2006, 1:55 AM   #1

hello,

I got my F30 and along with it i bought a XD Type H 1 GB card. I used it all day, uploaded some pics, put the card back in the camera, used it some more...and then when I went to uplaod it wouldnt recognize the pictures. I first put it to upload in the computer's XD slot (a toshiba)like i had done earlier in the day, and it would not do it. Then I connected to using the USB adapter provided with the camera, and it said there were no pictures on the camera.

What do I do?? HELP!!! i read to format it but i do not want to lose the pictures on there. I need them. How would I fix this problem?

Please let me know as soon as you can. THANKS

pinky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2006, 2:30 AM   #2

Try seeing if Smart Recovery will find your missing pics..

http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_medi...ry/welcome.htm
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 1:45 PM   #3

but it only recognizes drives...it doesnt even recognize the camera plugged in when i do the smart recovery..i tried file recovery too..any other ideaS?
Old Jun 25, 2006, 4:34 PM   #4

When you put the card into the reader what does it say ?

Have you tried putting the card into the reader and seeing if the file recovery software will see it ? The file reader should be a drive the software sees.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 10:40 PM   #5

nope it wasnt recognizing...i paid 50 for this file recovery program and it recovered my 315 pictures... is it likely something is wrong with my card or could it be something else?

thanks for all your help
Old Jun 26, 2006, 1:56 PM   #6

What program did you buy that was able to recover your pictures ?
Old Aug 13, 2006, 4:25 PM   #7

Argh! Same problem with me just now - I've just taken a bunch of photos on by F30 with an Olympus 1Gb xD Type H (MXD1GH3 BXL904BB 604) and then put the card in my card reader on my PC. Photoshop Elements opened and displayed the first picture, then a bunch of "image not found" type icons for the rest. Trying to upload them didn't work. I stuck the card back in the camera and got a "Card not initalized" error. I can't see the card in the card reader or the PC. The card was working fine for the last two months. Anybody got any suggestions?
cdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:57 PM   #8

Have you formatted the card in the camera.

I have had a very similar experience with a Fuji F11 and an Olympus Card.

Mine now works after the format, but only via the software and cables, no longer works with any card readers that I have.

Seems to be a common problem.

I wish I had purchased a camera that takes SD Cards now. :sad:
Inactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 5:15 AM   #9

Thanks for the reply, I tried formatting the card in the camera already, but now even the camera won't see the card - I get the "Card not initalized" messsage on the camera. My card reader seems to be playing up with other cards too (it takes ages to recognise that a card has been inserted) so I'm going to try another card reader soon and see if that can see the xD card.
cdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 5:35 AM   #10

I got the "Card not initalized" error twice so far. In both instances the card worked great in my S5600, I could see videos/ pictures until I took the xD card out & tried to transfer them with a 16in1 USB 2.0 card reader. Windows would not recognize the card was a valid drive! The "Card not initalized" error comes when I re-insert the card into my camera. Formatting the card & loosing all data is the only way to use the card again.

There seems to be something different about reading the xD card with a card reader, so I now prefer reading the files directly off the camera. Maybe its because I use a cheap "Silvercrest" reader, but I've never had similar issues with CF or Sony MS cards with it.
lionellobo is offline   Reply With Quote