Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 8, 2003, 5:46 AM   #1

Default Best 512Mb CF....

Hi,

I know compactflash card will have different speed on different cameras. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best 512Mb flash card for my Canon G3?

I have done a lot of research on it. I finaly come up with the following preferences:

1) Lexar 512Mb 24X
2) SanDisk Ultra 512Mb
3) Delkin Pro 512Mb

Any cheap place where I can get them?

P.S. Why digital camera manufacturers and flash card makers make it so difficult for the consumers??? Can't they just standardised their speed in every camera!!!
minicoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2003, 9:36 AM   #2

I doubt you'd see much of a difference between any of those cards. Its possible, but I doubt it would make much of a difference to you.

If you want to learn a bit more about the complexity of CF and how they work with cameras, check out this link:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

It's technically a test of a lot of CF on a variety of high end cameras (the G3 isn't there) but it also gets into how the camera sends data to the CF. I found it a very educational read. It's also interesting to look at the results for some cameras (the Nikon D100 or Canon 1D, for example) to see how some cards with the same rated "speed" will be faster or slower for other factors.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2003, 4:40 AM   #3

Thanks eric for your reply.

I checked that site before. Its a very informative web site.

I have talked to the Lexar technician the other day, he said G3 only support upto 16X, I it's useless to get a 24X CF card.

So I think I will get the SanDisk Ultra for its price and performance.

Anyone out there have a better suggestions??

Thank you!
Old May 11, 2003, 8:38 AM   #4

you'll find either delkin or lexar to be excellent cards. the sandisk ultra is also good but getting through to them with an issue can be more time consuming.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2003, 4:52 PM   #5

Hi sjms,

"sandisk ultra is also good but getting through to them with an issue can be more time consuming"

what do issue do you mean? Does Sandisk ultra write slow or read slow?
Old May 11, 2003, 11:14 PM   #6

My understanding is that the Ultra is a fairly fast card. Under ideal conditions, it doesn't compare to the faster Lexar cards... but how many of us work in ideal conditions? I'm fairly confident that the Ultra cards can take data faster than any consumer-grade camera can write it.

I believe sjms is refering to SanDisk's tech/customer support. I've heard that they can be a little bad in that department as well. Personally I don't own any of their cards and I've never tried to talk to them, so I can't say from personal experience.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2003, 11:50 AM   #7

customer support is is rather slow to respond. just go to their website and star digging for a phone contact for support.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote