Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 28, 2006, 3:32 AM   #1

Hi experts,

I actually got myself a Nikon Coolpix 8700E and I bought a 4GB Seagate Compact Flash Type II Photo Hard Drive.

On inserting it inside the camera, it displays the error "This Card Cannot Be Used" I was wondering if I can get any help from anyone of your's experience in case you had of this sort of situation.

The CF Format option doesnt gets selected. How can I make it work? Is that compatible with Nikon Coolpix 8700E??

Thanks in advance for the help.

Singh
[email protected]

apachemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2006, 9:12 AM   #2
Administrator

Here is a list of compatible cameras (your 8700 is not one of them):

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/di...mera_comp.html

A 32 Bit FAT (File Allocation Table) is required to use cards over 2GB, and many models only support a 16 Bit FAT.

But, it looks like Nikon has a firmware update available for the Coolpix 8700 that should let it work with 4GB cards. I'd give it a try and see if that resolves the issues:

Nikon Firmware Version 1.3 for Coolpix 8700

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:40 AM   #3

Hi experts,

I actually got myself a Coolpix 8700 and I bought a 4GB Seagate Compact Flash Photo Hard Drive.

On inserting it inside the camera, it displays the error "This Card Cannot Be Used" I was wondering if I can get any help from anyone of yours experience in case you had of this sort.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Singh
[email protected]
Old Jun 29, 2006, 1:22 AM   #4
Administrator

I answered your question in the first thread you started on this subject. ;-)

So, I've now merged the two threads together.

Try the new firmware and see if that resolves it (see the link to it above). Think of the firmware as being the camera's operating system. It needs an update to support 4GB drives.

Issues addressed with firmware version 1.3
  • 4GB CompactFlash memory cards can now be used. [/*]
  • Errors in Spanish menus have been corrected. [/*]

Old Jun 29, 2006, 1:51 AM   #5

Thank you very much for the help and reply JimC, but unfortunately its still showing the same error. I have successfully upgraded the software to 1.3. When i try to format the card from the camera, it just skips that CF Format option, so what i did was I went ahead and formatted the CF Card from the windows while connecting the Camera thru USB. I could see the E DriveRemovable Disk) and i formatted the card with FAT32, but still it didnt help.

I would appreciate if i can get some more pointers to make this work as I am leaving Friday for long weekend and i had got this Compact Flash card just for this occasion primarily.

Thanks in advance

Singh
Old Jun 29, 2006, 2:01 AM   #6
Administrator

That's not a good sign.

I don't know anyone that's tried a 4GB Seagate in a Nikon 8700 (and it's not on Seagate's list of compatible cameras).

You may want to try formatting it with a 32k cluster size with Windows. I've seen a few stories about other 4GB drives needing both FAT32 and a 32kb cluster size to work in some cameras.

You may want to try formatting it via a card reader if you have access to one (I don't know if that would make any difference or not).

Old Jun 29, 2006, 11:50 AM   #7

Its working!!!!!!!!!!!! I did whatever you advised Jim and its working now.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate that.

Singh
Old Jun 29, 2006, 11:58 AM   #8
Administrator

Great.. I'm glad you got it working. Enjoy your long weekend!

Old Jul 3, 2006, 9:20 PM   #9

Hi Jim,

I was very excited since that card started working. But the situation is that everytime I have to make it work, I have to connect the camera to the USB and then remove...i know its kindda weird but that's the only way it reognises the card. On normal startup it still gives that error of Card Canot be used.

Any ideas why its behaving like this cos I cant carry the laptop everywhere with me...lol. Its kidda Jump starting the car haha.

I really appreciate your help, Jim.

Regards,

Old Jul 3, 2006, 10:09 PM   #10
Administrator

My best guess (if you're not doing any kind of formatting to get it working each time), is that it's power related.

In other words, the drive may be pulling too much current to startup properly for the camera to recognize it, and by plugging the camera into the USB port, it may be pulling a little bit of power from the connection.

That's only a guess, since a mechanical drive like this one is going to require more power compared to solid state media.

I don't know anyone else that's tried a Seagate 4GB drive in a Coolpix 8700.

You might try Seagate Customer Support to see if they have any suggestions (or you may see if a replacement drive would work if your vendor will replace it). But, your camera is not on the list of cameras known to be compatible with this drive on their web site. Here is their contact page:

http://www.seagate.com/contact/index.html