Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 8, 2003, 5:31 PM   #1

Default Should I get a card reader, or just use the camera?

Hi,

Since my camera, a Nikon 4500, has some poor battery results, would it make sense to buy a flash/MD reader to get my pictures onto my computer instead of risk losing power when I'm in the middle of downloading? Or, is the money better spent on another battery or AC adapter?

Thanks,

Jeremy
airplanenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2003, 5:42 PM   #2

My opinion:
- get a reader for speed and convenience of pics downloading. Readers are pretty cheap now , sometimes they bundled with CF card too.
- get an AC adapter if you shot a lot inside, fixed setup ( portrait, macro shots )
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2003, 5:51 PM   #3

Great, now I have to buy both! :x
Old May 8, 2003, 6:28 PM   #4

I think a card reader is the only way to go!! Its faster than using the camera and you wont have that power drain.Just remember to remove the files IN YOUR CAMERA and not on the card reader.This will save you trouble with the card later down the road. Tealblue
tealblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2003, 7:48 PM   #5

The Nikon 4500 has a USB 1.1 (I believe) so getting a reader will mean much faster transfers. Life is short enough, why not spend the $20-40 USD and save some time? Of course, your computer needs to have a USB 2 port to take advantage of that USB2 reader.

I don't agree with tealblue, though. Don't "delete" the pictures at all. After you've confirmed that all the pictures have transfered correctly to your computer, reformat the card from within the camera. It's faster than deleting, and safer than formatting from your computer. ("safer" is relative, though. I don't believe the 4500 puts any special info on the CF card, so you should be safe if you reformatted from the PC... as long as you formatted with FAT16 (not the XP default of FAT32. Some cameras are very touchy about where you format. I'd ask in the Nikon forums here before I tried to format from my PC.)
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2003, 9:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by airplanenut
Great, now I have to buy both! :x
Haha you bet! :mrgreen: , and I beleive that needs will emerge with usage (or with pleasure of shooting) : filters, tripod, external flashes, addon lenses ... and so on ...
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2003, 10:24 PM   #7

Would that include a 3600mAh external power supply?
Old May 8, 2003, 11:43 PM   #8

airplanenut,

I agree with KCan's first comment. You don't have to get an external power supply unless it fits what you do (limited movement, indoor use, take *tons* of pictures.) It might be handy, it might not. But I wouldn't leap to the conclusion that you need both a card reader and an external power supply. A CF reader is just a good thing because it's faster and it deals with your worry about draining the batteries. And they are fairly cheap.

As to the "3600mAh external power supply"..... They also server their purpose. If you are going to power a strong flash unit and use it a lot.... If you travel and are away from electricity for long periods of time (camping, in rural china, in the amazon) then they are great. They last a really long time. But I wouldn't *assume* you need one. Many people use digital cameras and don't have one.

As to KCam's list of other things.... a tripod can be very helpful. It's probably the single best purchase you can make to improve your photography. External Flashes can be very handy if you use the built in flash a lot. Basically all built in flashs are not very good. They can work, in the right situation, but most of the time an external one is better.) Filters.... to me that is a toss up. They can help, but many apply to certain situations which might not apply to what you do.

Get used to the camera you have and see what you like to use it for. Pay attention to the fact that you can get flashes, tripods and other things. If you start to wish you had them, then you know they are worth buying. But don't assume that you must have them.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2003, 11:36 AM   #9

THANKS ERIC S . Reformat was the word i should have used,not remove in the camera. Thanks for fixing that one!! Tealblue
tealblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2003, 10:18 PM   #10
lg

Depending on the media you have, it is possible to wear out or damage the contacts or pins with repeated use. I haven't had a failure of this sort, and I use a card reader exclusive to transfer pics to the computer, but it's an item worth mentioning.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote