Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 3, 2006, 10:35 PM   #1

Hi All,
I am new here. I just bought a Sony DSC-W70 and I had a simple question regarding what memory to purchase. Is there any advantage to the high speed as compared to the standard speed memory stick pro duo?

I had a Finepix S3000 before so I am expecting this to way outperform that camera. I found a good price on a 2GB high speed memory stick on ebay and I was wondering if I should go for it.
Thanks,
Bryan
bkkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:26 PM   #2
Administrator

The MS PRO Duo is required for shooting the high quality 30fpsMPEG-VX movies. These are faster than the standard MS Duo cards. The faster cards also means faster downloads from camera to computer too. I would go for the PRO Duo cards for obvious reasons
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 11:18 AM   #3

Thanks very much Steve. I went for it. $75 shipped to my door. $249 in the stores. Awesome!!
Old Jul 5, 2006, 6:30 AM   #4

Be careful, there are a lot of fake cards flying around on ebay at the moment, particuarly Sony and Sandisk!
tom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:44 AM   #5

Yeah, that sounds like a price 'too good to be true'.

Scam alert!
Warning bells!
Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 11:59 AM   #6
Administrator

That's not too far out of line for Memory Stick Pro Duo. You can order a 2GB Memory Stick Pro Duo directly from Sonystyle.com for $119.95 now. Sony had some recent price drops, and the media in stores may not reflect these price drops yet.

Memory Stick Pro Duo Media at sonystyle.com

Newegg has 'em for $79.99 now (and they're a reputable vendor).

2GB Memory Stick Pro Duo at Newegg.com

Just to confuse things even more, Sony makes 3 types of Memory Stick Duo Media.

Memory Stick Duo
Memory Stick Pro Duo
High Speed Memory Stick Pro Duo
:-)

The High Speed 2GB card sells for almost twice as much as the standard Memory Stick Pro Duo. It's a faster card. But, you don't actually need the high speed version to record video from what I've been able to determine (but, you do need the Memory Stick Pro Duo versus Memory Stick Duo for the best 30fps video mode).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:52 PM   #7

Thanks for all the input. The memory stick is in the mail still and I get the camera tomorrow... hopefully. I will keep you updated as to how everything works out. The card does come with an apparent 3 year exchange warranty... so I will keep my fingers crossed that it is on the up and up.
Bryan
Old Jul 8, 2006, 10:00 AM   #8

Well I got my camera and I got my memory stick. It seems to be exactly what I ordered. Original packaging from Sony and all. 2GB high speed mem stick duo pro for $75 to my door. Can't wait to start taking some great pictures. thanks again for all your input.
Thanks,
Bryan
Old Jul 29, 2006, 5:46 AM   #9

I am very confused about the diffences between Memory Stick Duo,
Memory Stick Pro Duo, and the Memory Stick Pro (no duo)

Please explain the differences? Which is the best?

If possible, could you email answer to [email protected]due to this being a work computer that I am using right now.

Thanks

BKSinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 5:24 PM   #10

Also sent to your email address, though posting an email address in a forum is a sure fire way to get it added to spam lists ?

Spammers write little programs that scan thousands of forums each day for email addresses to be added to their lists so always use a throwaway address ..

Duo Sticks, the newer half sized memory stick for the newer Sony models, usually have a little adapter to make them full size and fit in regular (full size) slots for the older cameras.

Anyone buying the full size sticks will be disappointed when the newer Sonys can't take them, so always buy duo..

I am not sure, but I think all Duos are Pro?

**EDIT**

Found a duo stick on Amazon that is not a Pro ! However its only a 128mb card, and who would buy less than 1gb cards these days ?

**endEDIT**

Memory Stick/Memory Stick Pro

The full sized sticks.

The Pro card is faster , you need the Pro card for the best movie mode on the latest cameras. Unless you have an ancient camera that needs the older sticks, get a Pro version.

Basically there is little point in buying anything but a Pro stick, so get a Pro Duo, fits the latest cameras needing duo cards and can with an adapter fit older cameras that need the full size stick.

Hi speed cards, the really fast cards, really expensive compared to the pro sticks, practically no one needs them unless its to show off , since most Sony point and shoot cameras will not be able to write data to the card fast enough to make a difference.

Obviously once inserted into a card reader then the data will be downloaded faster , but that seems to be a small benefit for such an expensive card.

Haven't seen a review of the Sony dslr ,that might be able to fullymake use of a hi speed card and justifiy the cost !

There is an even smaller memory stick called the micro (for phones ..) , it comes with an adapter to turn it into a full size MS Pro
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote