Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 10, 2006, 12:15 PM   #1

Trying to decide which to get, I can get a 6gb hitachi microdrive new for 199$ Canadian, this is a 3400rpm drive. Would that be fast enough to use in a DSLR (D70s) or should I stick for CF cards? I saw a CF card rated at about 9Mbits/sec, the microdrive is 15Mbits/sec, but then again, this might just have been an 80X card.

msweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2006, 12:45 PM   #2

Ok, after some reading, the microdrive IS a good price, but they seem much more fragile, so I'll just get 1 or 2 of the Sandisk Extreme III 2.0gb cards or maybe Kingston ultimate 2gb, however the kingston seems a bit slower.

Any recommendations?
Old Jul 10, 2006, 5:03 PM   #3
Administrator

msweeney wrote:
Quote:
Trying to decide which to get, I can get a 6gb hitachi microdrive new for 199$ Canadian, this is a 3400rpm drive. Would that be fast enough to use in a DSLR (D70s) or should I stick for CF cards? I saw a CF card rated at about 9Mbits/sec, the microdrive is 15Mbits/sec, but then again, this might just have been an 80X card.
Check the specs carefully to see what speeds you're looking at.

Most CompactFlash Cards are rated in MB/sec or Megabytes per Second anymore.

There are 8 bits in a byte.

So, 15Mbits/Sec (Megabits per Second) is less than 2MB/Sec (Megabytes per Second).

The newest Hitachi Drives are faster. It looks like the latest Hitachi 6GB Microdrives drives are up to around 9.4MB/Second now.

But the older drives are pretty slow (and if they're only rated at 15Mbits/Second, they're slower ones).

Rob Galbraith has some speed tests in a D70 here. He doesn't have the 6GB Hitachi Drives, but he has tests for a 4GB drive in the list (you'll find it near the bottom where the slower cards are listed). Again, newer drives should be faster (the latest drives are up to about 9.4MB/Second, according to Hitachi's specs). But, I'd still go solid state media myself.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6816

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 9:51 AM   #4

Thanks for the link. Think I'll stick with the Sandisk's.

Old Jul 19, 2006, 12:34 PM   #5

My observation has been that the micro-drives draw more more power and I have to swap batteries much sooner in my KM 7d and there seems to be no warning, click, click, by-by. A real bummer when panning an action sequence.
mikekeyw is offline   Reply With Quote