Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 10, 2006, 6:54 PM   #1

I have a Fuji e900 with a 1gb Fuji type "M".
Will the type "H" from Oplympus be faster (will I see any difference)?

Thanks
bettrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:04 AM   #2

From what I know, type M is the fastest. I have one that I use in my Fuji F10 and it works flawlessly. I think the difference is when you shoot 30fps clips with your digicam or when you shoot at ahigh frame rate.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 2:08 PM   #3

Wrong, H is the hispeed card, M is the standard speed card.

Hi-Speed xD-Picture Card (Type H)
In addition to outstanding reliability and storage capacity, the Type H card provides improved write speeds (up to 2x to 3x faster than previous xD cards) so photos and QuickTime® movies will be saved and formatted to the card quicker, meaning less time to wait between shots.

Standard xD-Picture Card (Type M)

The Type M xD-Picture Card keeps your photo, movie and other files safe and sound so you can enjoy them any way you want (viewing, sharing, slideshows, etc.) and any time. The compact size lets you carry it anywhere and because it's compatible with many reader/writers, you can download data to a computer or another device in a jiffy.

The Finepix E900 is listed as being compatible with xD, xD(M) and xD(H) cards.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:05 AM   #4

good thread, i have Xd in my finepix 2650

im sure its an M, but who knows,

i have to get a reader for it since i ruined my cord and such the other day

so i am researching what reader i need and so forth, its provingto be very complicated ?

good luck

easterwabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 5:46 PM   #5

Hello,

I'm researchingxD cards for my Fuji 5600 the 16mb card that came with the camera is just not going to cut it (why do they even bother!). I found the following info on http://www.picstop.co.uk/ which pretty much explains the what's what. It suggests that the Olympus type H card is faster than the Fuji type H card... Can anyone confirm that?
Quote:
What is Standard type xD?
The xD Picture Card is an ultra-compact memory media that has been developed jointly by Fuji and Olympus and was introduced in 2002. The name 'xD Picture Card' was derived from "eXtreme Digital" and was chosen to reflect the excellence with which the format would be able to record, store and transport audio-visual information. The standard xD picture card writes at 3.0mb/s and reads at 5.0mb/s.

What is type M?
The Type M xD was released in late 2005 and uses Multi Level Cell (MLC) architecture to achieve higher storage capacities. The Type M xD card suffers some compatibility issues with older cameras (especially video recording). The Olympus card has marginally slower read/write speeds than the their standard card & writes at 2.5mb/s and reads at 4.0mb/s. Fuji Type M xD cards have identical operating specifications to the standard Fuji card.

What is type H?
Olympus Type H xD picture card can attain write speeds of up to 2-3 times faster than the standard or Type M xD Picture Card. Speed is dependent on camera's on board controller & shooting modes. Fuji Type H xD cards use different methods of digital encoding but have identical operating specifications to the standard Fuji xD card.

Dangerous Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:51 AM   #6

Good question.

I was wondering the same thing. Will type H actually be any faster?

I saw one place that said the current generation cameras don't take advantage of the higher speed capabilities yet, so type M will be just as fast; but that was coming from someone on ebay selling type M cards, so I'm not sure it's reliable. I also think I remember one review saying that the card speed wouldn't make a practical difference in using it, because it's not really a limiting factor; in other words it's the processing in the camera that slows down read and write not the write speed to the card. But I assume it might still matter in downloading images (as USB potential speed is very fast).

On the other hand I also saw a couple user reviews somewhere from people saying they noticed a difference when upgrading to a type H card. So I'm wondering if there's any good reason, in buying a card for my new F30, to prefer a type H, or if I can as easily save a few bucks and get the type M.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:48 AM   #7

kenbalbari wrote:
Quote:
Good question.

I was wondering the same thing. Will type H actually be any faster?

I saw one place that said the current generation cameras don't take advantage of the higher speed capabilities yet, so type M will be just as fast; but that was coming from someone on ebay selling type M cards, so I'm not sure it's reliable. I also think I remember one review saying that the card speed wouldn't make a practical difference in using it, because it's not really a limiting factor; in other words it's the processing in the camera that slows down read and write not the write speed to the card. But I assume it might still matter in downloading images (as USB potential speed is very fast).

On the other hand I also saw a couple user reviews somewhere from people saying they noticed a difference when upgrading to a type H card. So I'm wondering if there's any good reason, in buying a card for my new F30, to prefer a type H, or if I can as easily save a few bucks and get the type M.

Depending on when and where you shop, sometimes the type H is the same price or cheaper than the type M.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote