Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 17, 2006, 9:08 AM   #1

I was transfering files from my sd card to Windows and there was a CRC error. after that, Windows XP claimed the card had to be formatted. I formatted the card in the camera and then it displayed as being only 512 MB.

I haven't been able to find any way to delet the partition and recreate it as 1 GB. Does anyone know any way to retrieve the nmissing capacity?
emissary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:23 AM   #2
Administrator

Try the SD card format utility by Panasonic, it may do the trick!

http://www.sdcard.org/Downloads.aspx

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 6:51 PM   #3

Unfortunately, even that only sees the card at the reduced size.

Thanks though!
Old Jul 17, 2006, 6:51 PM   #4

**Sorry, double post**
Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:01 PM   #5

You might try this: Put your card in your card reader, right click "My Computer", and left click "Manage". There should be two windows, with the left window a tree. If not, make the tree appear by clicking the "Show/Hide Console Tree" icon at the top. Locate your card as a drive, under either "Removable Storage" or "Disk Management". Click on it, and then you'll have 3 windows - the left one, and upper and lower right windows. I'm betting you will see two partitions on the card in the lower right window, one formatted and one not. If you right click the formatted partition and you have made the appropriate incantations to the Windows Gods, you will have a "Delete partition" option. If you delete that partition, you can go on and use this window to re-format the card with one partition.

Takes a few minutes, but worth a try to double your storage capacity. I don't think you'll get any worse results than you have now.
docmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 5:45 AM   #6

Ya know, exactly the samething happened to me and similar things were suggested but I couldn't figure it out.

Mine became corrupted and after using that Panasonic utility, it was permanently half the capacity.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=52

I had to RMA the card.
itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 9:18 AM   #7

Where did you buy the card? It's possible to set up the fat table to appear like a 1GB card when it's actually 512MB. Online scam artists might do this when selling relabelled cards. Of course, when you get an error atthe end of the card and have to format, they can say it's your fault.
Riot Act is offline   Reply With Quote