Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 17, 2006, 1:43 PM   #1

Hi.

I saw a post that seemed to make sense, but I'd like to get more opinions. A user wrote that an SD card acts like a hard drive in that it uses "tracks" to record data. He says that using a 512mb card is preferable to a 1mb card, because you tend not lose as much speed on a 512mb card as it fills up.

Are there any opinions? Let's say your 1mb card is half full. Has anyone noticed (or know for sure) that the second half of the 1mb card will react slower while filling up the remainder of the space? Are two 512mb cards better than a single 1mb card?

Thanks.

dpluta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2006, 7:38 AM   #2

it's flash memory, I don't think there's a speed difference if it writes on the inside or outside of the chips...
SMP_Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 9:41 AM   #3

Never heard this one before. Don't worry about it, it is unlikely you would notice any difference anyway.

I use 4 GB CF cards and always fill them up and I have never seen ANY difference in speed as I near the end of a card.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 2:03 PM   #4

another thing to add... it's probably 'faster' to have an entire 1 gig card to write to at once than having to change the card when it's filled for the rest of your memory
SMP_Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 6:34 PM   #5

I don't think speed is an issue here, but you might want to consider redundancy...if all that you have is a 1 gig card and it craps out on you...no pictures. If you have two 512's and one craps out, you can still take pics.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 9:58 PM   #6

If you look at the speed stats, the bigger the card, the faster it (ususally) is.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:12 PM   #7

What size files are you writing?

I am a RAW shooter and use CF cards, a 512meg card only holds about 40 images for me. I used to use 1gb cards but as the price comes down I've switched to 2gb and now going to 4gb cards as the sales show up.
I try to take 1 card in camera and 4 in a waterproof gepe card case, even with 5 cards it means stopping every couple of days to burn to a dvd while traveling.

I don't think write speed is really an issue with good cards like SanDisk Ultras/ Extremes or Lexars's unless you are shooting in burst mode and overflowing your buffer while trying to store 5 or 8 images a second.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:17 AM   #8

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
I don't think speed is an issue here, but you might want to consider redundancy...if all that you have is a 1 gig card and it craps out on you...no pictures. If you have two 512's and one craps out, you can still take pics.

the Hun

That's a good point, when I travel on vacation, I switch cards every day, so that each card has half of the pictures. That way, ifone card craps out or I losea card, I still have some pictures.
rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote