Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 17, 2006, 10:04 PM   #1

I have a Canon S50. I had used a 1 GB KingstonCF and had an incident where I got a faulty image message while in the camera. I continued using the card after formatting in the camera and the got a card read error message at a later date with the same card where none of the images was viewable. I was able to format the card and use it again but decided to not take any chances and changed the card.

I then swapped out the card for an older Kingston 512MB card. I used the card for about 20 shots without incident. I then tried to test it again before a planned vacation and took about 20 additional test shots. I found that one of the previous images (taken at the first session) had a corrupted copy on the camera. The original image was intact but there was a second image where basically part of a new image (taken at session 2) was superimposed or collaged onto the old image. Interestingly. the thumbnail image looks fine. Is this my camera or do I just have 2 faulty cards? Same manufacturer and purchased about the same time.
Attached Images

phillydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2006, 10:42 PM   #2

You are getting different errors with the two cards. If I read your post correctly you got an error message with the Gig card and lost all the photos. The 512Mb card gave you only one bad shot out of 40? There could be a bad spot on the card. I would format the card and take a lot of photos. If it continues to give one bad shot out of 40 you might consider running with it. If it always screws up at about the same place it is probably the card.

It might have been a one time glitch from a card that seems to have been stored for a while. I would take a lot more photos and see how it goes. Digital photos are free – just go out and shoot a couple hundred random shots. I'm usually optimistic that little glitches will sort themselves out. They often don't, but it is worth giving it a chance.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 6:10 AM   #3

Well, I just went out and bought a new 1 gig card to try. I can deal with a 1/40 error rate. I just don't want to be taking pictures after I've stumbled upon Jimmy Hoffa's body and then lose all of them.
phillydog is offline   Reply With Quote