Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 18, 2006, 10:25 AM   #1

hello i am new here and i have a fujifilm 2650 that i use often, however somehow the pins in the cord and in the camera plug socket got bent up and so i cannot move pics to my computer anymore

i notice that it has an XD 16mb card in it,

is there any other way to move pics from this camera to my desktop PC ?

isapicture card reader what i can use sucessfully ? if so where do i get one ? we only have a couple of small town computer shops around here, and if i get one then how do i tell if my USB is 1.0 or 2.0 ? i didnt know 1 and 2 existed,

i have the common 4 pin type A USB on my moBO

does 2.0 work for this ?

or am i out of luck

and have to get another camera?

thanks for anything!

randy

easterwabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2006, 10:55 AM   #2
Administrator

If you buy a USB 2.0 Card Reader, it will still work with PCs using an older USB 1.1 interface. So, you don't need to worry about that part, as long as your PC has USB ports.

The difference is that you'll have much faster transfer speeds *if* your PC has USB 2.0 versus older 1.1 ports. But, you can upgrade your PC to USB 2.0 via a PCI card if you find out that you don't have USB 2.0 and want faster transfer speeds.

Almost any office supply or electronics store should have USB 2.0 card readers. You'll want to make sure that it's capable of support xD Picturecard (since this card type is not as popular, with only Fuji and Olympus cameras using it now).

Stores like Circuit City, Best Buy, Staples, OfficeMax, Office Depot, etc., will carry USB 2.0 card readers.

You can probably find one for around $20 that will work fine with your xD PictureCards. Here's one example:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1089890487405

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:51 AM   #3

good info thanks

we dont have any such stores out here in corn field land but theres a coupel small town shops i can try, and hope

unless wal mart has someting maybe but i doubt it and dont want ot go there anyways

lol

thanks

Old Jul 18, 2006, 12:11 PM   #4
Administrator

Wal-Mart should have some.

http://www.walmart.com/search/browse...=125875.245639

Looking through the descriptions, most of them do not support xD Picturecard.

So, make sure to check specs carefully to make sure you see a slot for Xd Picturecard (not the same thing as SD).

You might want to call your local store and see if they have one of these Lexar readers left in stock at a clearance price ($7). It's sold out on their web site (but, maybe a local store has one)

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2470623

Old Jul 18, 2006, 12:26 PM   #5

neat, well i have learned much i have to say

i found a reader that fuji makes specifically for this card, its a USB 2.0 XD card reader

i know what i need to do now

i appreciate it

Old Jul 18, 2006, 12:59 PM   #6
Administrator

If the price is close, I'd probably get a multi-card type reader.

You can find them that support most commonly used card types (with xD Picturecard support being the most difficult to find, although more readers are starting to support it).

That way, if you change to a different camera model later, you'd already have a card reader that works. ;-) CompactFlash and Secure Digital are probably the most commonly used formats now. So, most multi-card readers will work with them. Again, just check the specs for any readers you consider and make sure they support xD Picturecard.

Then, anything else would be a "bonus" (extra slots that you may be able to use later with another device using a different memory card type).