Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 26, 2006, 8:50 PM   #11

I bought the card mainly for use with my dSLR, but since the R1 also uses CF, I thought I would give it a try.

As of now, I have not had much time to play with the partitioning, but I intend to. I use the 7Tools partition manager, which has served me well in the past.

When I get the format error in the camera, and then check the card in 7Tools, it appears that the camera deleted the partition. I have no idea why it would do that. Of course, I also have no idea why Sony would limit the capacity to 6 GB.

I'll give the different cluster sizes a try too. Thanks for that suggestion.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 7:56 PM   #12

I just unwrapped a new R1 and inserted a new Kingston 4GB CF Card and I get the flashing error code.

What gives? Did I do something wrong?
bullhalsey42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 8:25 PM   #13
Administrator

Try formatting the card using the camera's menu choice for format and see if that solves it. You'll find a Format menu choice under the Memory Stick Tool options in your Setup menus.

If that doesn't solve it, and other cards work in the camera (try another card to see if the problem is with the camera or the card), I'd see if your vendor will replace it for you. If not (many vendors will not allow returns of shrink wrapped products like memory cards that have been opened), see if Kingston will replace it for you. They have a pretty good warranty on their cards and they may be able to send you one that works. Kingston Cards (especially their Elite Pro Cards) do tend to have some compatiblity "qurks" with some cameras.

https://shop.kingston.com/web_rma/default.asp

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 5:22 PM   #14

Jim,
Thanks for the instructions. I followed them and still got the same flashing code and CF error. I called the Customer Support Department of Sony this afternoon. The rep I spoke to gave me the same advice with the same result. He then asked what CF card I was using. I answered witn the Kingston Ultimate, 4GB 100X. He placed me on hold for a while and came back with an answer that floored me. "Your CF card is not compatible with the R1 camera". He further instructed me to look at the "Read This First" instructions and pointed to a page that lists Micro Drive Cards and CF's that Sony states will work with the camera. The Kingston is not listed. As a matter of fact, the Hitachi Micro Drive was the only card listed. He then went on to say that the Sony Memory Stik Pro Duo 4GB MSX-M4GS would be the product to buy.

Is this a load of you know what?

What is the opinion of others with this camera?

Steve
Old Nov 22, 2006, 7:15 AM   #15

An update on my 8GB CF card saga.

After posting the info above, I began to get errors in my dSLR too. So I returned the card and received a replacement. This new card works fine in both my dSLR and in the R1. So now, despite Sony saying that the R1 will only work with memory cards up to 6GB, I have the 8GB card working in my R1.

I now have to question the information that Sony gives out in their technical support.

As an aside, I received a second email from Sony support that also reitterated the 6GB limit. I have also heard from a few others who are using 8GB CF cards.

In Thailand, if you go into a shop and ask for something, if the sales clerk does not understand what you are asking for, they will often reply 'No have'. I wonder if this is what Sony technical support is doing. When they don't know the answer to your question, they just say 'Not supported'.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 2:08 PM   #16

I agree.

But.....In light of the fact that I have purchased all this equipment, I went out this morning and bought the Sony 4GB Memory Stick Pro Duo.....and it works fine.
Last night I contacted Kingston Tech Support, they looked up the R1 and stated my card should operate flawlessly. They suggested I check out the card in a reader or another camera. While I was at the store I asked the salesman to pop the card in another camera to see if it worked out. It did.
I'll ask Kingston to exchange it.

At least I'll have Thanksgiving shots tomorrow night.

Steve
Old Nov 29, 2006, 7:15 PM   #17

Hi ..

Update on my previous post in this thread.

My 1gig Sandisk Extreme 3 Memory Stick Pro Duo has continued to provide one Raw PLUS 10Meg fine Jpeg every 3.5 to 4 seconds.

Five days ago I bought a 2 gig stick of the same and it is reliably giving the same results.

It also, from full charge, gave internal flash and pic rate of 2 seconds over 150 pics.

Context = Portrait, indoor, 1.5 meter distance with flash compensation = minus 3. Ie underpowered.

Nb ... I chose this after trial and error as to what gave best results for close portrait.

Best wishes

glyn
Glyn2 is offline   Reply With Quote