Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:04 AM   #1

Hi,
I am trying to use a Sony 5gb Compact Fault with a Nikon Coolpix 5700 and am having problems.
When I insert the card sometimes it says 'Card not formatted' when I select format it thinks for a sec then says again 'Card not formatted'.
Sometime the camera lets me take a pic, then when I try to look at it in the camera its says 'Cannot read cf card'. However, when I put the card in a computer, the pic I've taken is on the card!!!
So, it seems the card will work with the camera but its not operating correctly.
Does anyone have any ideas as to how to overcome this? I know its not the card as I've got three of them and they all do the same.
I would be really grateful if anyone could suggest a resolution as my other card is only a 128mb!!!!
Cheers, Mike

opps, just seen the title should be Compact Vault, but perhaps it fits the topic better!
Asbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:00 AM   #2
Administrator

The Coolpix 5700 is not FAT32 compatible, cards larger than 1GB were nonexistent (or rediculously expensive) when that camera was made. You need FAT32 file support to access cards larger than 2GB. I use a cp5700 with a 1GB card all the time, no problems. This is the list of supported cards taken right out of the 5700 user manual.

[align=left]SanDisk SDCFB series 16 MB, 32 MB, 48 MB, 64 MB, 96 MB, and 128 MB[/align]
[align=left]• Lexar Media 4
× USB series 8 MB, 16 MB, 32 MB, 48 MB, 64 MB, and 80 MB[/align]
[align=left]• Lexar Media 8
× USB series 8 MB, 16 MB, 32 MB, 48 MB, 64 MB, and 80 MB[/align]
[align=left]• Lexar Media 10
× USB series 128 MB and 160 MB[/align]
[align=left]Microdrive
® cards:[/align]

[align=left]•IBM DSCM-10512 and DSCM-11000 Microdrive
® cards[/align]
[align=left]Operation is not guaranteed with other makes of memory card.[/align]
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:41 AM   #3

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your help. I realised the camera is a good deal older than the cards so didn't bother to check for it in the manual.

Basically what your saying is that I need a FAT16 formatted card?

Is there anyway I can format this 5GB card to be FAT16 - I know that that would be limiting the card to 2GB but I got these cards free (friend at Sony) so even if I end up with only 2GB (or even less) it will still mean I wont have to buy another card, I got three of them to, so will still have 6GB in total over the 3 cards.
Thanks again for your help Steve, Mike
Asbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 2:53 PM   #4
Administrator

Using a card reader and Windows you can try doing a format and select FAT from the pulldown menu, FAT32 is the default. Not sure this will work without doing a low level format first as the drive is already FAT32 formatted but give it a try.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote