Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 16, 2003, 6:41 AM   #1

Default UK / European People - Read this

Don't know if anyone has used the services of this company, but I ordered a Samsung 256CF card from them yesterday at 14.15 and it arrived registered post this morning - oh yes, it was 39 inclusive of VAT and P+P, which I thought was rather good?! (wait to be inundated with cheaper prices!!).

Find them here -

http://www.valueflash.co.uk/
numskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2003, 6:48 AM   #2

That sounds like a good price and service. Although the problem for most of us is, will the card be fast enough and do movie in our particular camera! I might look at this for my MP3 player.

What cam are you using it with, does it have movie, and can you fill all the card without a freeze?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 7:05 AM   #3

Haven't tried the card itself on my G3 voxmagna, but I use this for photography, not movies - I use a camcorder for that!

If it's as fast as the standard Sandisk 256 I have, it'll be fine - it'll be fine even if it's a bit slower actually!

Take a look at the site - they sell all makes - I just went for the cheapest. :lol:
Old May 16, 2003, 7:57 AM   #4

Thanks, actually I don't use my 602 for movies much, but it's a good test to be sure continuous and last 5 shot mode will work, and I'm not hanging around in 6Mpix mode waiting for the orange led to go out!
Old May 17, 2003, 1:26 AM   #5

Tried the card last night and it works fine. Tried with movie mode and that was fine too - no freezing on record or playback.

Oddly, I just noticed that the empty formatted Sandisk card at highest res shows 123 shots available - the Samsung shows 125! :? Anyone have any idea why this would be?
Old May 17, 2003, 3:14 AM   #6

These are only estimates, wouldn't worry, when you load up pics the compression rate will give variable file sizes anyway.

Do both cards have the same pre-formatted FAT cluster size? The used card will still have data on it, so only comparing two wiped cards filled with FF's and the same cluster size is meaningful. Wouldn't worry about a couple of pics in 120. There's a big jump in price from 256 to 512 isn't there? Cheers - VOX
Old May 17, 2003, 5:28 AM   #7

So, am I correct in assuming that if I format both cards in the G3, the comparison should then be the same? Odd that the Sandisk shows as 244mb and the Samsung 247mb! Is the loss of the 9 to 11 mb due to the format?
Old May 17, 2003, 6:18 AM   #8

Quote:
So, am I correct in assuming that if I format both cards in the G3, the comparison should then be the same?
Not quite. Most cams only do 'quick format' which is why it only takes a few secs. They only re-write the FAT table. Old data is still left scattered around the card for you to recover (sometimes!). Which is why I said what I did. The cards cannot be treated as equivalent unless you start knowing both are 'dry cleaned' and with the same FAT and file structure on them. I think the card size is native size before formatting, after formatting actual size for pics is less, where do you think 120 file/folder names, pointers and attributes are stored and what does that leave for pics?

Do you think the cam response is real then? Checkout WinHex and have a look at your cards. You will get more clues. If you're psyched up about this, make a 120 exact copies, renamed, of the same jpeg and see when the card fills up! I thought you were only losing 3 or 4 Mb anyway?? Are you thinking of getting your money back?
Old May 17, 2003, 6:29 AM   #9

No, no - I've no intention of sending the card back, I just want to understand Vox, that's all!

I presume that I can format the card on the PC via the CF card Reader? Sorry, dumb when it comes to these things.
Old May 17, 2003, 6:56 AM   #10

Yes, but only under Win2K/XP and you must select FAT16 then choose your cluster size. BUT I'd avoid it until you have to. Some cams put data on cards, bit like 'personalisation', after the first format.

Check your working cards first with Winhex. It tells you their format structure, preferably make an image copy in case you ever bust it -after reformatting in a reader and getting the instructions wrong!

You should aim to only reformat a card in the camera and regularly, unless you get a card problem. Erasing some files,leaving others and writing new files slows down a card as it struggles to save around the old file 'holes'.