Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 11, 2007, 8:46 AM   #31

Play.com have replied thus :

I can confirm that this item is genuine and supplied directly from
Sandisk.

I await a response from Sandisk - but it looks as if the 'notch' Sandisk photo maybe a little out of date - or a red-herring !

Little Davel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 8:31 PM   #32

This is very useful information. Some of the SD cards that I have are fake and I know what to look for next time.
Tebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 4:12 PM   #33

It maybe that the notches on different series or capacities of Sandisk cards are of different sizes and depths. The ones on the genuineUltra II 1& 2 GB cards that I haveare very shallow and rather long, compared to some other photos I have seen; these notches are difficult to see from any angle but end-on, and could be difficult to distiguish in a front photo if it were taken close up and with a small aperture. The cards have a top surface thumbnail groove near the end and a narrow margin beyond - the notch is about half the depth of that narrow margin, and the ends of the notch can be caught with the end of a fingernail if your close-up vision is toopoor to see it. My counterfeit cards hace the groove, but no notch (see my earlier entry in this thread).
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 3:12 PM   #34

You are right that Sandisk may use different designs (or indeed different manufacturers) and this may be done for good reason ! Using the photos as a guide to authenticity is not advised. Which begs the questions ? Is registering your card with sandisk and inputing the serial number an indicator of authenticity ? If not, then I will probably only find out if the card is a fake if it goes faulty and I return it to Sandisk ! But that will be too late ! :?
Little Davel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 5:43 PM   #35

Little Davel wrote:
Quote:
Is registering your card with sandisk and inputing the serial number an indicator of authenticity ? :?
I'd say no, because when I first got my fake Extreme III, I registered the number on the back of the card and Sandisk accepted it without a word of caution.

With that said, I got a new Ultra II 2GB today at Radio Shack and took some pics of the new card in case anyone is interested in comparing to help distinguish a possible fake.

Here's a head-on shot of the card. Comparing it to my confirmed fake Extreme III, the print quality is much sharper and solid. The words Sandisk, Ultra and the little registered trademark symbol are the only text in holographic lettering. Another difference I noted is the lock tab is grey and is flat on the side, whereas the fake had a white tab with slight teeth on the side.

Reverse of the card. No trouble distinguishing the difference here. Greeted with big '2.0 GB' screenprinted onto the case and Sandisk with logo incused into the plastic. The fake had neither of these. Also the text of the serial number and 'Made In China' on the fake were faint and of a different font.

The switch edge of the card. Not much more to note here aside what has been said about the switch but the little notches above and below the switch 'compartment'. The fake had none.

"

The edge opposite the lock switch. Another little notch above the usual larger notch. Again, fake had none.

The bottom of the card, a.k.a 'The Infamous Notch'.

Same notch, different angle.

And finally, the front profile of the notch.

Hope these pics can help someone out.
ShutterBugSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 11:46 AM   #36

Too late! I wish I had noticed this forum before I bought a SanDisk 8GB Extreme IV CF card. It's counterfiet

Bought it on eBay from ginette2007418. You have been warned!
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 11:33 PM   #37

I ALSO just received a fake Sandisk compactflash 4gb card from an ebay seller named ebuyrealm . It was confirmed with photos sent to sandisk. The seller indicated he would look into it with his "supplier" and offer a refund if I send it back.

The problem is, what is the likelihood that I will actually receive a refund by him? By the time he receives the card back his business may be shut down.

This type of activity needs to stop.

I posted a message in the sandisk forum. Id invite others to do so as well. Maybe then they will crack down on these people.

http://communities.sandisk.com/sandi...p;thread.id=18

FRAUD IS A CRIME! PLEASE DO YOUR PART TO HELP STOP THIS.

MORE INFO:
techgeek419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 8:25 AM   #38

geek,

You seem to feel that the problem lies with Sandisk, when actually you and everyone else who tries to get a 'steal' on ebay is the problem. Fraudulent merchants can't exist if no one buys from them. You should be complaining to ebay, not Sandisk. If an ebay merchant is fraudulent, ebay will shut him down. What do you expect Sandisk to do?

The ebay seller you bought your card from has 100% positive feedback...that means nobody complained about his products - not even you! So you gave this seller positive feedback - right? And maybe the seller is legit, and didn't realize this item was counterfeit. Sounds like you've already convicted him.

I think you should give the seller the opportunity to make good on his refund offer before you go off on your crusade. And maybe, in the future you'll buy from legitimate sources rather than unknowns on ebay.

Just my opinion.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 5:11 PM   #39

Mr Hun, allow me to help explain a few things.

First, it would be my initial assumption if a seller on ebay has 100% feedback that he is legitimate. Wouldnt most common buyers assume that? Therefore, there was little hesitancy to buy from that seller. I, myself was actually was unaware of fraudulent copycat sellers. until now. But there are many other "newbies" for DSLR's born every day, and how would they know? they wont.

I got a reply from sandisk that said the photo confirmed the item was fake. Since, the seller has gave me a full refund. Does that mean I should leave him negative feedback now?

Most people dont leave negative feedback because many are unaware the items are fake OR they fear leaving bad feedback due to reciprical feedback from the seller. Not good.

Yes I believe some (not all) of the responsibility lies with the manufacture. They need to design products that clearly have a way to differentiate between real and fakes. The hologram seal on the front of the package is a start. But they also should PROSECUTE or at least fine people who actively sell or distribute the counterfeit items. Perhaps that is too hard to do?

As for ebay policy, it has been clearly dictated by them that they will NOT go after a seller for those reasons and they (ebay) will ONLY shut down those bad guys IF the manufacture tells them too. Kind of a "its not my responsibility" back and forth deal. Ever play hot potatoe?

as referenced by this helpful review:
http://reviews.ebay.com/FAKE-SanDisk...00000001235396
Why eBay does not put a full stop to all these fraudulent activities?

* We have been informed that eBay will NOT act unless the trademark owner (SanDisk, Sony, Kingston) contacts them. All buyers report to eBay hoping that the sellers receive permanent suspension for supplying counterfeits are in vain. eBay will ONLY act if directed to do so by your local law enforcement agency or the rightful trademark owner under eBay's VeRO program.

eBay has an unguarded open web channel of allowing high influx of fraudulent items into each country's public marketplace, directly from overseas.
techgeek419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 4:12 PM   #40

geek,

Thank you for the explanation. You raise an interesting point regarding seller feedback. If a seller has 100% positive feedback, should you trust him? If someone is selling a name brand memory card on ebay for less than half of what every legitimate business is selling it for, but has 100% positive feedback, should you trust him? How can the ebay seller offer the card at this price and still make a profit? Are the legitimate business owners all trying to rip you off by charging twice what the ebay seller is charging you?

Making items hard to counterfeit costs money. Those costs are passed along to the consumer. That makes the item more expensive. The more expensive an item, the more likely it is to be counterfeited or stolen. It's a vicious circle...

Now it seems to me that you have slandered this individual by calling him fraudulent on at least two web sites. In order to commit fraud, one needs to have knowledge that he is selling is counterfeit goods. Do you have evidence that ebuyrealm knew that the card he sold you was counterfeit? Does he continue to sell the same cards on ebay? You got your money back...did you learn anything?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote