Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:22 PM   #1

Hi,

I took some photos with my digital camera, and by accident deleted them from the memory card. I am led to believe there is a way to retrieve them, somehow. Any suggestions? Please help...

seksi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2006, 10:32 AM   #2

There might be something free on-line.

But I bought this and it works just as advertised.

http://www.recovermyphotos.com/

(Did the same thing you did )

DON'T store any more images on that card until you recover them or the new images might over write the deleted ones.

ooops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 1:14 PM   #3
Administrator

Agood utility to try is Digital Image Recovery (it's free). It doesn't support raw files but it works with jpeg. You can download it using this link.

http://www.foto-erhardt.de/foto-forum/download.php?id=2

Here is a commercial program that will recover raw or jpeg files:

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

If the two utilities I mentioned above can't get them back for you, here's an open source program you may want to try.

It's designed to work with severely corrupted file systems by looking for header information specific to many image types in order to try and reconstruct them (and your problem is simpler).

Here is the link:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

If the commonly available recovery programs don't seem to work with a USB attached camera, try using them with a card reader instead (they're very inexpensive).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 2:29 PM   #4

Thanks Jim

I just found this website and read this thread. I used the free Digital Image Recovery software to recovery my photos from my recentcamping trip - It worked great

BTW - it was an Olympus XD card

Jeff
the hangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 2:35 PM   #5
Administrator

I'm glad it worked for you. Sometimes Xd Picturecard is a bit "finnicky" recovering images from compared to other media types.

I'd suggest making sure to reformat the memory card using the camera's menus for format (not your PC) before using it again if the problem was due to any kind of errors.

I make sure to do this prior to every use with a memory card anyway as an extra precaution against a corrupted File Allocation Table (so that I always start out with a fresh FAT, just the way the camera expects it, since it's performing the format).

Old Aug 24, 2006, 5:38 PM   #6

Thanks Jim: I hadread not to erase photos with the computer - but I always just ERASE ALL with the camera menu- I have never reformatted the card - I think I will do that right now

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I will follow your advice

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks again

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Jeff
the hangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 8:33 PM   #7

Thanks for the links guys http://www.foto-erhardt.de/foto-forum/download.php?id=2 , just recovered my jpegs I lost on a trip last week, didn't get the RAW's yet but am going to try with the open source program later on.

It was kind of a strange thing that happened then. I made pictures in RAW+JPG on my sony alpha for three days and at the end of the day saving them to my new bought portable HD (40 Gb), it worked just great until this last day ...

Story:
I just saved the pics from my CF card to the HD, saved the xD from FUJI S9500 to it and than I put my SD with adaptor from my alpha and got a copy error ... tried again and again, got an error everytime ... OK I thought just leave it at that and try to re-capture the pics I made just before as they were from the neighbourhood I stayed in ... the others would be lost I thought (actually I hoped I could get Sony to that), anyways, I used the same SD card and wonder they were fine but the previous were all corrupted files ...

Until now that is, I just recovered the jpegs only, but never mind they are high res.

What matters is I recovered them ...

Thanks again for the links ....
belgian pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:11 PM   #8
Administrator

belgian pie wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the links guys http://www.foto-erhardt.de/foto-forum/download.php?id=2 , just recovered my jpegs I lost on a trip last week, didn't get the RAW's yet but am going to try with the open source program later on.
Yes, it usually works quite well for JPEGs (with a few exceptions from time to time). But, it's an old program and the author didn't look for any raw file types.

As for the Open Source PhotoRec program I mentioned, I till haven't tried it.

But, I now have the highest respect for it's author, since I did use his TestDisk program recently.

While I was half asleep and experimenting with diifferent MBR (Master Boot Record) types on a CompactFlash Card using Ranish Parition Manager, I removed the existing partitions on my primary hard disk drive instead, overwrote it's Master Boot Record, created a new Partition, and started formatting it before I realized that the wrong drive was selected (I didn't notice the extra decimal places in the drive size until it was too late). I've got to pay attention to those little details. :-)

It was my primary hard disk drive with Windows XP and lots of important files on it, versus the CompactFlash Card I was experimenting with. Big OOPS!

Well, I booted into a Linux Live CD, installed TestDisk, and managed to recover the NTFS partition on the drive, with no loss of data. I did need to recreate the MBR using fixmbr from an XP CD. But, the NTFS partition survived my mistakes intact, thanks to this program..

Whew! I was hoping my last backup was good. But, I didn't need it. This program worked liked a charm.

So, if you want the raw files, I'd make sure to give this author's PhotoRec program a try. If it doesn't work, you may want to send him a .mrw file to look at so he can add support for it.

It is an interesting file format (the .mrw fiile used by the DSLR-A100), and it differs a little bit from previous .mrw files from KM models. I'd see if it works first, though (it just might). lol

Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:25 PM   #9

The photo erhardt got all the RAW files but saved them under a tiff format but they aren't recognized by any program ...

Same goes for photorec ... recognizes files, saves them as tiffs but they don't open in any program ... PS says something about parsing ...
belgian pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:52 PM   #10
Administrator

I'd send the author a good raw file or two and let him take a look at one if you need 'em. See his note on the bottom of the page about it. I'd makee sure to let him know the camera model it came from, too (since he will be able to look at the source code in dcraw.c for it if he can't figure it out).

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec