Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 6, 2006, 8:49 PM   #1

Well I just got to thinkin, it's well within the realm of current technology to make a CF card adapter with a data cable leading out of it, into a pocket external HD. Many pocket HDs, which are just notebook 2.5" drives, are capable of operating just on USB power, which I'm NOT suggesting it runs on the camera's power but it does mean they're relatively low-draw, so would not require a big heavy battery to operate. What I see in this is being able to take as many pics as we please simply by having to put up with a cable leading to something that can easily fit into a camera bag or even your pocket! And especially using a CF format, which is large enough to accomidate a cable and a very commonly supported format among dSLRs.

Of course, I recognize that you are taking "solid state" out of the equation and so dropping the HD could lead to data loss or even total drive failure, but again technology exists to at least help this; IBM has notebook drives with accelerometers that sense a drop, and freeze the HD motors prior to impact.

I don't know the proper pathways to suggest this to say, sandisk, kingston, toshiba, etc. but I'd like to know what everyone's else's view on this may be!

For those of us who absolutely can't stand the thought of using a cable for ANYTHING while they're taking pics, how about simply incorperating a multicard reader into a pocket HD? What I see with this is, when a card fills up, throw it into the HD unit and it transfers all the pics while you slap a 2nd card into your camera. By the time you fill the 2nd card, the 1st one will be fully transfered and empty, so you just swap them back from there.
wizbummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2006, 11:54 PM   #2

Quote:
For those of us who absolutely can't stand the thought of using a cable for ANYTHING while they're taking pics, how about simply incorperating a multicard reader into a pocket HD? What I see with this is, when a card fills up, throw it into the HD unit and it transfers all the pics while you slap a 2nd card into your camera. By the time you fill the 2nd card, the 1st one will be fully transfered and empty, so you just swap them back from there.
Ok, not clear on this, but what is the difference between your idea and the many such devices that already do this , and have been doing this for several years now?

http://hyperdrive.com/shop/index.php

http://www.usbgeek.com/prod_detail.php?prod_id=0411

http://www.epson.co.uk/products/digi...eras/P2000.htm

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 1:48 AM   #3

Ok, well that does indeed cover part II, I had a feeling that something like that already existed and had completely forgotten about the epson p-2000 (epson rep had told me about it once). Whoops :?

Any opinion on the first portion though?
And an addition to that; a real-time wireless transfer to a laptop or even a pocket HD. I know kodak already has a wireless sharing line of camera, the Easyshare-one, but so far these cameras have had rather poor reviews, the system is not at all streamlined, and it is NOT real-time. Wifi would be preferable to bluetooth because of the vastly larger bandwidth, though bluetooth has a definition already suiteable for this.

To my knowledge, no other manufacturer has greatly explored wifi transfer other than kodak, but I could be wrong again!

anything like this exist sintares?
Old Aug 7, 2006, 7:42 AM   #4

Most digicams will not operate if the door covering the memory module is open. Unless the door were modified to accept a cable leading out of the compartment, the camera won't work.
Wolverine@MSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 8:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Most digicams will not operate if the door covering the memory module is open. Unless the door were modified to accept a cable leading out of the compartment, the camera won't work.
I haven't come across a camera yet where i've seen a switch for the memory card door. I have seen a few that have memory card access next to the battery though...
Old Aug 7, 2006, 9:24 PM   #6

I just checked my Canon A520. There is no switch that I can see on the SD card door, but the camera will not power up with the door open. My daughter's Nikon 4600, however, powered up just fine with the card door open.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:44 AM   #7

Digital cameras are now getting equipped with Bluetooth technology to transmit pictures wirelessly to the PC, instead of using USB or flash card readers. This can easily be adapted for transmission of "live captures" (pictures which have just been taken) from the camera. Currently Bluetooth 2.0 only goes up to 3 MBps, but as long as the camera has enough internal memory (flash memory is getting so cheap nowadays) for the pictures to park and line up in the queue before being sent out wirelessly, there should be no problem. The protocol for transmission of the pictures is not much different from USB OTG (on-the-go) technology currently available (used in the rather expensive external image storage devices such as Epson P2000, and many other much cheaper external hard drive/ drive enclosures with host capability) - all you need is to design a protocol for the camera to signal the host storage device, which initiates the transmission of new picture(s).

However, I believe that wireless transmission for "live captures" from the camera (as opposed to transmission of pictures already stored in a memory card inside the camera) will not attract much interest in the camera manufacturers, because the storage size of flash memory cards will only keep going up, and there is really no need for a larger bulkier external storage device for the majority of users, probably except professionals - eg. photo studios where pictures can be Bluetoothed to the studio's PC instantaneously (not to an extenal storage device though).
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:55 PM   #8

I do agree that the major manufacturers likely will not persue real-time image transfer stuff because of the falling cost of media. This was more of a "what-if" idea I had.

When I thought of these, I had sports photography in mind more than anything because of the number of pics they take and the need for unhindered mobility. I suppose that would be one of the only markets that could greatly appreciate something like this, but then again the photographers usually already have the money to have like 10 4gig cards and just slap a new one in when they need it!

Thanks for the comments folks, I like to try starting little brainstorms on forums with things that pop into my head, I think that someday something really good might come of it! :lol:
Old Aug 11, 2006, 3:22 AM   #9

I can see your point about the usefulness of external storage for sports photographers, who spend all day in the field. I also see the advantage of wired over wireless data transmission: (1) transmission speed (currently very slow Bluetooth) (2) transmission reliability (signal interference) (3) transmission security (hey you don't want someone with a wireless sniffer intercepting all your perfect shots of touchdown and sending them to the publishers even before you finish taking the pictures, right? Though Bluetooth has similar security as WiFi).

I come across this in another forum here - such an external storage device with Firewire connection is already available in high-end/ pro DSLR:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...O=RootPage.jsp

(from: Steves Forums > Digital cameras > Other Makes > Leica fans....)
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 8:23 PM   #10

That's definately in the direction of what I was talking about. I haven't yet come across any pocket HD's that are battery powered, though I'm sure some exist somewhere.

Firewire is definately a great standard to use, but it's also made to supply power to the peripheral from the host device, which is not what we want for cameras!