Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 17, 2006, 9:29 PM   #11

Still doesn't work; Windows seems to skip 32KB of the drive:

The same thing happens with Ranish. Here's what happens when I try to write over the unallocated space:

FrancisL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 9:46 PM   #12
Administrator

Odd..

Let me check and see what XP did with the CF cards I tested with earlier. I'll be back shortly.

I'll go ahead and test using Ranish to create a FAT32 paritition, too and see if a camera likes it that way or not. You may want to do the same thing (clear the partitions and let Ranish create one immediately following the MBR).

I've also got a hex editor I can use test what happens if we zero out the first part of a drive and can see what impact that has. Unfortunately, I have to test with CF Cards using nand memory, not hard disk drives.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:33 PM   #13
Administrator

Yep... Same thing with my CF Cards.

I also tried using Ranish to create a FAT32 Parition, formatted it, and made it active (set the boot flag, even though I'm not booting from it), and it does the same thing as XP.

But, my camera still recognizes it that way. So, that must not be the issue (unless your camera is more "finnicky" compared to mine).

Old Aug 18, 2006, 1:53 AM   #14

I tried using Paragon partition manager to format the drive; this time it only ignored 4KB of space. I think its related to the cluster size. When it's set to 32KB, 32KB of space is left unpartitioned, while a 4KB cluster size leaves 4KB of unpartitioned space, etc..

Which hex editor did you have in mind?

I found a D70s brochure lying around at work earlier today, under the specs it says that it can support microdrives "up to 4GB".
But even though this is an 8GB, Seagate includes the D70s on their compatibility list.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 9:12 AM   #15
Administrator

One you can try is HxD.

http://www.mh-nexus.de/programs.htm#HxD

Under the Extras menu, you'll see an Open Drive choice. It will pull up a list of logical and physical drives. I'd use the physical and make sure you're selecting the correct drive (it will show up as a removable drive).

It's a bit tricky to use. But, it's got the ability to select blocks on the drive itself, and use some features under it's Edit menu to fill the space with 00 (fill selection).

It's a bit tough to use for this purpose (it took me a few tries to figure it out when testing with a CF Card, since I was getting mismatches between the selected bytes and how many I wanted to fill with 00's),

I don't know if that would do any good or not (trying to fill the first part of the drive with zeros and repartitioning using Windows Disk Manager tools and letting Windws recreate the MBR).

That's a trick I've seen others mention for drives that didn't work. But, it seems to me that using another tool to overwrite the MBR like Ranish would accomplish the same thing (and using Ranish to create a new MBR works fine with CF cards in my camera).

Old Aug 26, 2006, 4:21 AM   #16

I've been away for the past several days so it took me a while to read your response. I think i'm just going to sell the drive; it's fully functional and in perfect condition, with the exception of my d70s refusing to read it. I really want to thank you for all your help and advice on trying to get the thing to work. Oh well, I think i'll just invest in a good solid state flash drive.

Cheers