Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 20, 2003, 4:27 PM   #1

Default can I use the same CF card for Photos and other file types

Hi all

I think I know the answer to this myself but just thought I'd make certain.

If I have a 128mb CF Card in my Psion 5mx Palmtop is there any reason I cant pop this in my digital camera and store photo images on the same disc as files for the psion ?

Is there any downside to doing so ?

Thanks

Stef
stefank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2003, 5:59 PM   #2
NHL

I don't have a Psion, but I have share my CF/microdrive with my PDA, MP3 player and camera interchangeably. The pictures are actually all stored in the DCIM directory regardless of which camera! 8)

Actually each camera brand create their own directory under the DCIM directory as well, Nikon, Minolta, Fuji, Canon etc... :P

ie you don't need to erase any files... including MP3 or MPEG!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2003, 6:14 PM   #3

Thanks for that.

i'm going on Holiday early june and it's handy to know I can use the 128mb card I use for my palmtop if I use up all the space on my viking 256mb card in my A70.

Thanks again

Stef

Old May 20, 2003, 11:48 PM   #4

You should be warned that what NHL describes is the way the world should be. And for most cameras it is. But some are very touchy about what writes to the card. I've seen a few too many posts about how something has gone wrong and their CF/SMS/whatevery doesn't work in their camera any more.

Before I went on vacation, I'd make sure I could use the card in my palmtop. I'd hate to have a problem when I'm who knows where....
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 1:09 AM   #5

What I know is all my cards (Lexar, PNY, Sandisk, Nikon) work well swapping between D7, D7i, Nikon 950, reader plug to win98 and winXP
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 3:17 AM   #6

Fair point Eric - I am going to be somewhere slightly remote (ish) maybe I just need to crank back the resolution if I get near filling my 256 mb

Thanks for the heads up

Stef
Old May 21, 2003, 9:39 AM   #7

Eric writes words of wisdom. My recent post regarding card problems are exactly what can happen. In this case I believe the problems were caused by low batteries or turning off the camera before the write process was complete. Have used one card in two different cameras though and it does create it's own unique folder. Take a spare just in case!
folmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 9:57 AM   #8
NHL

Actually there's a standard, FYI to anyone interested (DCF - Design rule for Camera File system) based on DOS fat:
http://it.jeita.or.jp/document/publi...f_eng/Dcfe.pdf

... you're pretty safe with newer cameras that'll accept the fat-32! Now that Microsoft throw in NTFS :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old May 21, 2003, 10:07 AM   #9

That's enough information to make anyone dangerous! Found it interesting that standards do exist. Good reference material NHL
folmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 1:53 PM   #10
NHL

Actually it's pretty comprehensive. Theses designers have put in a lot of thought and not randomly patch thing together: GPS info, audio data (different formats et al.) have all been defined 8) 8) 8)

http://it.jeita.or.jp/document/publi...jeida49eng.htm