Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 22, 2003, 4:13 PM   #11

voxmagna & NHL
DOS won't recognize the drive. SeLaVi
Thanks for taking the time to educate me!
folmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2003, 4:32 PM   #12

Reboot without the card in the reader first. The OS might have remembered the last bad experience! This prog is a long shot get Diskman4 free from here (register an email, but it's ok no spam).

http://diskman.no-ip.com/default.aspx

put the .exe in say c:\temp, open the dos window at the c:\temp dir.

Run by typing DISKMAN4 CONSOLE
at the prompt type:

DRIVE MOUNT DOS (your card drive letter):

test your card drive is the one mounted type:
DRIVE LIST
then type:

DRIVE VOLUME 1 FORMAT FAT16

(you can learn the other switches by typing HELP)

This works under 98SE!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 2:39 PM   #13

Vox
Gave it a try but couldn't get it to recognize the drive. That program brought back nightmares from days gone by. If you lived in the states I'd send you this thing to see if you could de-bug it. Anyone else interested? You fix it, it's yours. I'm just currious to see if it can be done? 128Mb SanDisck. Send your address to my e-address....
Old May 23, 2003, 2:54 PM   #14

See some of my other posts. It's a job for low level SMPREP.exe. O.K you are on, send it and I'll fix it unless you've zapped it permanently broke!
Old May 24, 2003, 11:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
See some of my other posts. It's a job for low level SMPREP.exe. O.K you are on, send it and I'll fix it unless you've zapped it permanently broke! I found Diskman4 is a messy prog but with potential. It works for cards on Win98 & 95, producing FAT12/16 and sort of does variable cluster size which no resident OS formatters will do. The author has taken a few points from me and some improvements might be in the pipeline. It's not for GUI newbies though.
This is a job for the pro - It's in the mail... Can't wait to hear the outcome? FYI - it's packed in a video tape box.
Old May 24, 2003, 1:02 PM   #16

That sounds a bit big, hope you don't mean VHS! A card backed 'photo envelope - do not bend' with the card wrapped in ali foil and stuck on it would probably have been OK and passed through the system without too much attention.

I often wonder why these mail order places rip you off for post and carriage. It's obviously the hidden markup, and always at the last step when you click on 'place order'.
Old May 25, 2003, 1:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
That sounds a bit big, hope you don't mean VHS! .
Afraid it is a VHS box but that's what I had. Looked for a padded envelope to no avail. You're right about postage.
This only cost $3.40 US. Not bad I thought and certainly worth finding out if your magic will work?