Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:15 AM   #1
Mag

I was looking for input on peoples opinions and uses when deleting all pictures off a card. Do most of you reformat every time, or use the all erase option? And do you think formatting say every day or so is hard on the card?

Best rgeards,

Mag
Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2006, 8:50 AM   #2
Administrator

I always format my cards prior to every use with a camera's menu choice for format (not a PC). No exceptions.

That insures that I always start out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table), just the way a camera expects it, since it's performing the format.

It's just as fast as deleting the images with most models anyway.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:36 PM   #3

Yep, format in camera....
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:44 PM   #4

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I always format my cards prior to every use with a camera's menu choice for format (not a PC). No exceptions.

That insures that I always start out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table), just the way a camera expects it, since it's performing the format.

It's just as fast as deleting the images with most models anyway.

Hmmmm..... you got me thinking. If you don't use the format option, does the driveget fragmented over time like a hard drive,so file storage is no longer contiguous and slows down the write speed?

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:53 PM   #5
Administrator

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
Hmmmm..... you got me thinking. If you don't use the format option, does the driveget fragmented over time like a hard drive,so file storage is no longer contiguous and slows down the write speed?
I've seen this discussed before, and the general consensus is that fragmentation is not an issue with flash memory.

The cards are designed to vary the location of data written to them anyway (so that you have a more even number writes distributed to each cell) from what I understand.

My primary reason for formatting every time is to make sure I don't have a corrupted FAT (the most common cause of most card errors and corrupted photos), since it's easy for one to go undetected until you run into a problem that impacts your images; and formatting is just as fast as deleting images with most models anyway.

Any time you write to a memory card, you risk corruption -- especially when using a computer to perform any write operations (and a cut and paste is a delete, too), if you're not careful about making sure any writes are flushed to the media before removing the camera or card. You also have potential issues with the operating system and drivers used. Even things like using a camera with a low battery has been known to cause corruption.

So, from my perspective, formatting each time using a camera's menus for format is an extra precaution to reduce the chance of losing any images, and insures that you always start out with a fresh File Allocation Table, just the way the camera expects it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 2:28 PM   #6
Mag

Great, thanks everyone, I will format every time in camera.

Best regards,

Mag
Mag is offline   Reply With Quote